Resources and Services Offered WIKI page

Ken Hunter

I would like to add a "Resources and Services Offered" page to the WIKI where
those members that can assist others with 3D printing, obtaining parts, assembly
of boards, flashing firmware to devices etc. can post their offerings.

I have a SHC design I'd like to offer as a kit and also a fully assembled and tested
OnStep SHC as well as most of the parts that make up an SHC like the colored
buttons for the 12 X 12mm switches and the "handle" for the 5-way joystick that
you can't find anywhere in small quantities or in a reasonable time from China.

I'm sure that George would also be able to list some or all of the items he's offering
as well as others that have "mentioned services" in their Showcase pages.

I thought I'd post this here for comments Pro & Con before acting on it.

Ken

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

Howard is, of course, the ultimate arbitrator of what is permissible within the  OnStep Group.

I personally think it is a good idea, within bounds. The biggest one to me is that everything being offered is not proprietary and can be obtained or built independently of the offered item. This is in keeping with the Open Source principle of OnStep.

The current "you are on your own" approach gives the first time browser the idea that no one is offering anything "OnStep".

Howard Dutton

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 07:13 AM, Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️ wrote:
I personally think it is a good idea, within bounds. The biggest one to me is that everything being offered is not proprietary and can be obtained or built independently of the offered item. This is in keeping with the Open Source principle of OnStep.
Agree 100%, without this no product advertisement should be allowed.

I also would like it limited to a single Wiki page, I don't want this kind of thing creeping into the documentation or getting elaborate.  Link off-group as needed to get into your real content.

Please keep in mind I might decide, at any time, that the resulting hassles of something like this aren't worth my time/effort at which point I'll remove the page.

Khalid Baheyeldin

Agree that this is needed.

Should be called something really simple, like 'Where to Buy'. 'Resources', 'Services' and such are too abstract, specially for non English speakers, which seem to form a large contingent of OnStep users.

Yes, should be one paragraph with heading for each 'vendor', and a link of where the details of the items are, pricing, contact, shipping cost, ...etc.

It should also contain generic links to EasyEDA where PCBs can be ordered, as well as eBay, Amazon and AliExpress for discreet components, motors, ...etc. (details of every item can be on the specific board page, or the motors page).

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 09:55 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
It should also contain generic links to EasyEDA where PCBs can be ordered, as well as eBay, Amazon and AliExpress for discreet components, motors, ...etc. (details of every item can be on the specific board page, or the motors page).
For clarity I believe this would best be a separate page. Perhaps called "Components".

Chad Gray

It would be nice if the public could update the components section.  Some parts are like a moving target.

Maybe a google (or pick your favorite cloud document host) spreadsheet that is editable?  Google keeps a running history of changes if someone accidentally deletes everything.  The changes can be restored.  I think you will find the people that are willing to update such a document are going to take care of the document.  That has been my experience with public editable documents.

Chad

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 09:02 AM, Chad Gray wrote:
It would be nice if the public could update the components section.  Some parts are like a moving target.

Maybe a google (or pick your favorite cloud document host) spreadsheet that is editable?
Seems like a reasonable idea. Do  you have a link to somewhere were someone has done this or something similar for an example?

Chad Gray

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 10:43 AM Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️ <drewbolce@...> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 09:02 AM, Chad Gray wrote:
It would be nice if the public could update the components section.  Some parts are like a moving target.

Maybe a google (or pick your favorite cloud document host) spreadsheet that is editable?
Seems like a reasonable idea. Do  you have a link to somewhere were someone has done this or something similar for an example?

Khalid Baheyeldin

A publicly editable anything is open to spam, trolls, defacing, ...etc.

I'd rather have one (or a few) people curate the content based on what people report in the mailing list.

Ken Hunter

I've a few home projects that need attention this weekend.
I'll see about getting it started next week and oversee it
like I'm doing the CNC V3 Wiki page but will definitely
welcome additional editors to help.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 08:05 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
A publicly editable anything is open to spam, trolls, defacing, ...etc.
While I agree with the statement, I think this is true of almost anything we do here. After all "publicly editable" is almost the very definition of an Online Group. Just like the group it would need to be properly monitored.

Howard Dutton

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 05:05 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
I'd rather have one (or a few) people curate the content based on what people report in the mailing list.
I'm in 100% agreement with Khalid about this.

Chad Gray

Bots would be the only problem.  I have no idea if google has a way of defending their public documents from bots.

I have had many documents open out to the public and I have never had a bot target it, but my documents may not be as easy to find as one linked to a website like the Onstep as it gets spidered by search engines.

I personally think it is worth a try or I would not have suggested it.  The easier it is for people to update things the more accurate it will be.  If you put people in front of it then it will just turn into an old outdated document.  I think of this document as one for newbies and they will be the one to enthusiastically use the links and if they find them in-accurate they have the option of fixing or updating.  People that are not newbies do not care about the links and they will fall into disarray.

A wiki that is editable by anyone is the concept i am also describing.  There are stop gaps built into all Wiki software for these issues.

I would not put a parts list up unless it stays accurate.  We could work with a vendor that would want to update it to get sales from it.  That kind of incentive would be one way to keep it accurate.

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 10:14 AM, Howard Dutton wrote:
I'm in 100% agreement with Khalid about this.
It's your football. I consider the discussion done.

My only suggestion is as before. Have two pages. One for Vendors and the other for Components. I define "Vendors" as value added, OnStep specific suppliers. Their offerings for individual parts would still be on the Vendor page. It is the OnStep focus that puts them on this page.

Components as those supplying parts for OnStep. I consider the OnStep boards to be a component.