Updated Wiki Page: SHC User Manual #wiki-notice

developer@onstep.groups.io Notification <noreply@...>

The wiki page SHC User Manual has been updated by Dave Schwartz <Dave.Schwartz@...>.

Reason: First draft of 3.x menu structure

Compare Revisions

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

That looks real good and certainly has more information than I knew about.

My only suggestion would be to remove some the extra line "padding" to make it easier to scroll thru.

Dave Schwartz

I tried to concatenate some 'discussion' comments with the display text. In some cases that works but in other cases, especially where the comment is long and wraps, it made it more difficult to notice the actual menu selection entries. So to be consistent I left it with possibly more line breaks than are needed but IMHO it is more readable that way.

On 2021-10-01 2:11 p.m., Drew 🔭📷🚴 ♂ wrote:
That looks real good and certainly has more information than I knew about.

My only suggestion would be to remove some the extra line "padding" to make it easier to scroll thru.

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

I guess I was looking at removing some of the line spacing. But, the editor does not allow that. At least as far as I can determine.

Dave Schwartz

Yeah, the editor is kind of limited. I wanted to use bullet list markers but you can't have multiple indented levels and it doesn't like to have single single bullets interleaved with non-bulleted text without a full spacing. Lots of things you can do in HTML that you can't with that editor, even though the page is probably stored as HTML.

On 2021-10-01 3:29 p.m., Drew 🔭📷🚴 ♂ wrote:
I guess I was looking at removing some of the line spacing. But, the editor does not allow that. At least as far as I can determine.

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

Yes it is a limited HTML. If your click the far right icon it will open an advance toolbar. The far right icon will show  you the source code version. Needed for a lot of editing, IMHO.

Dave Schwartz

I wouldn't want to try editing in HTML source code mode because I have no confidence that using some more advanced features of HTML wouldn't cause future editing to be broken or to undo edits that get made to formatting structures that the non-advanced source code editor's limited brain can't handle.

I think we should focus on finalizing the content through review by people in the know, especially Howard, to ensure the correctness of both the menu structure and content. There are a few things that I only took guesses at because I don't use user catalogs, PEC or a rotator.

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 06:13 PM, Dave Schwartz wrote:
I wouldn't want to try editing in HTML source code mode because I have no confidence that using some more advanced features of HTML wouldn't cause future editing to be broken or to undo edits that get made to formatting structures that the non-advanced source code editor's limited brain can't handle.
I look at it to ensure consistency of formatting and to copy. I have already found out that editor cannot handle a lot of the standard (much less advanced) html codes.

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

Ken, Dave,

Are we ready to release the SHC User Manual to the Main Group? Don't want to see the effort go to the wayside.

Khalid Baheyeldin

It does not have to be perfect, just good enough.
In open source, the philosophy is 'release early', and hopefully with enough
eyeballs on it, issues will be pointed out, and corrected.
So collaboration by many people, including the intended audience, is key here.

Go for it ...

Dave Schwartz

I would think its ready to release. I just made another pass though what I wrote (sometimes a little more clarity, mostly just typo-correction). Nobody else has said anything review-wise.

I don't know what the purpose of exporting to PDF and then uploading was. Since the Wiki is the master the PDFs will get misleadingly out of date.

Ken, Dave,

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 06:23 PM, Dave Schwartz wrote:
I don't know what the purpose of exporting to PDF and then uploading was. Since the Wiki is the master the PDFs will get misleadingly out of date.
The purpose was to provide users with a downloadable, always accessible form. Yes, I am aware that it will probably get out of date.

Ken Hunter

I  have a good look at a good looking effort for the SHC Wiki but personal
problems related to my bad  back have kept me from being able to participate
lately. One thing I have noticed but haven't chased down.

While playing around with the GOTO subdirectories, I used the SHC to "PARK"
position and have NOT been able to "UNPARK" the scope since. When trying to
"GOTO" a star, I get the "Scope is Parked" message and the "Parked" icon is
 set on the main page. Trying the "UNPARK" gives a short display that the scope
is"unparking" but it does not.

I am using the MaxESP3 testbed to verify the SHC tree and it seems to be more
related to the MaxESP3 firmware so I haven't commented yet on the SHC Wiki.
Khalid et al are correct that the more "eyes on" we have the better chance of
finding errors. My vote is to publish.

Ken

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 08:18 AM, Ken Hunter wrote:
While playing around with the GOTO subdirectories, I used the SHC to "PARK"
position and have NOT been able to "UNPARK" the scope since. When trying to
"GOTO" a star, I get the "Scope is Parked" message and the "Parked" icon is
 set on the main page. Trying the "UNPARK" gives a short display that the scope
is"unparking" but it does not.
Most likely you did not do a "Set Park" first. It would be nice to have a default park position at NCP in order to prevent this.

Howard Dutton

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 05:18 AM, Ken Hunter wrote:
While playing around with the GOTO subdirectories, I used the SHC to "PARK"
position and have NOT been able to "UNPARK" the scope since. When trying to
"GOTO" a star, I get the "Scope is Parked" message and the "Parked" icon is
 set on the main page. Trying the "UNPARK" gives a short display that the scope
is"unparking" but it does not.
If a park fails, do a "Home (Reset)" to recover.

Ken Hunter

Thanks guys!

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 8:37 AM Howard Dutton <hjd1964@...> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 05:18 AM, Ken Hunter wrote:
While playing around with the GOTO subdirectories, I used the SHC to "PARK"
position and have NOT been able to "UNPARK" the scope since. When trying to
"GOTO" a star, I get the "Scope is Parked" message and the "Parked" icon is
 set on the main page. Trying the "UNPARK" gives a short display that the scope
is"unparking" but it does not.
If a park fails, do a "Home (Reset)" to recover.

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

I added some verbiage from the SHC wiki to make the page more complete. Please review/edit and I will transfer it  to the Main group.

Dave Schwartz

I hope you don't mind if I'm brutally honest here...

The 'Starting Up' section is okay even if it is just a verbalization of the sequence of images above.

However there is too much overlap between the new 'Use' section and the preexisting 'Button Functions' section.

Firstly, scrap the poor-man's pictogram of the buttons. Not only are both Feature buttons labelled with 'F' (i.e. no 'f') but the image is much more accessible (ASCII pictograms went out in the 90's).

Most of the descriptions of the buttons are redundant to what was there, just using a lot more words that make it more difficult to read (some of that may be because of the old-timey font). I prefer the preexisting, shorter descriptions.

The only useful new information was that the Function keys are automatically switched to guide rate selection during an alignment and that a double click when at the 'Recenter' prompt would allow you to change the alignment star if the one you started with was obscured - I was not aware of either so I have learned something new! Perhaps there's some way to merge that into the original descriptions.

If Howard is reading, it would have been nice if the feature key mode that was selected before beginning alignment would have been restored after completing the alignment. It was a bit puzzling that my selection of Focuser set before alignment had become Guide Rate after completing the alignment.