Bluetooth hand control using cheap gamepad

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

While waiting for the rest of my components to come in for my MaxESP build I have begun to think about code. I like to use a cheap gamepad as a basic hand controller. For example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Smart-Joystick-Mini-Gamepad-Bluetooth-Controller-For-VR-3D-Glasses-Smartphones-/254180353601?hash=item3b2e546641

My idea is to implement it as though it was a ST4 hand controller using the onboard ESP32 bluetooth. I already have functioning code for interfacing the unit without the usual problems (auto-off timeout and reconnect, out of range reconnect, repairing, etc.)

I am starting to think about the code unique to the ESP32 and Onstep. Pairing for example.

Has anyone already done this? Any input would be appreciated.