Re: Stepper motor mount for Losmandy GM-8

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 02:36 PM, Howard Dutton wrote:
On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 11:20 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
Very interesting. I have seen these 1000 step 5-phase motors on eBay, used. Seems that Oriental Motors are the only one that makes them (for now). But the lack of a suitable driver was an obstacle.
Good to offer support for them, for those who need the extra resolution.
I nervously await testing to see if this is worth the effort/expense, experimentation like this is as likely to fail (i.e. similar performance) as succeed.
The good news is that it is a STEP/DIR driver, and will be configured as an external driver (i.e. microstepping is in the driver, not in OnStep), so that part is taken care of.

However testing is two faceted:
- Testing that it works, which is easy.
- Testing whether the resolution is better, that is much harder.