Celestron CGE

fetoma

I posted a few post down about this but wanted to start a new thread. What I would like to do is provide all CGE owners an option to keep their mounts when the electronics die. I found this group by stumbling upon it while looking for a fix for my CGE. I was pretty angry that I spent over $2K for a great mount that had it's motors and motor control board replacement parts extremely expensive and now obsolete. In reading many posts for the past week, I've come to the conclusion that I would like to be the guinea pig to something CGE owners can use without throwing away their mounts. My goal would be to do this with little modification to the mount itself, and I think it can be done with just a modification of the motor/worm block. I could just mimic jean-francois.harvey's mod, or even Marko Himelreich's mod, but I want to lean towards a 1:1 belt/pulley drive. Kahlid had mentioned a Nema 17 motor with a 10:1 high precision planetary gearbox (17HS15-0404S-HG10) that should fit. I would like to have excellent tracking and incorporate the DEC and RA switches also if possible. With all that said, I would like to hear some opinions on motor selection along the lines of Kahlid's motor above to settle on a motor, and which main controller would be best to use to possibly future proof the mount.

Thanks,
Frank