Re: Buying an EQ5

Joe

I initially had a used EQ-5 and it turned out that one of the bearings was siezed and a total loss. I found a used Vixen GP, took that apart and hypertuned it. Thankfully for me the parts from the EQ-5 were a perfect fit on the GP.
Having both mounts apart I’d really go with the GP if possible, i found mine used for $200.
There is simply no comparison between the two. The GP uses better machining and higher quality parts, no question about it.
Should you happen to buy either of these it’s an improvement over the EQ3.
If you find one be aware new parts are really hard to find. I have a donor mount and may be able to help out if needed.

On Monday, December 23, 2019, 1:14 PM, Ivo <ibabarovic@...> wrote:

Im having similar dilema. More of a : is this a mount with enough quality in its parts to handle goto system with steppers? It looks fragile to me but i havent seen it in person.
Thats why Im also on a lookout for older vixen polaris mounts. GP and Super polaris. I just lost a bid for a 30 years old superpolaris on ebay.

On Mon, 23 Dec 2019 at 19:02, <julianporter5@...> wrote:

I’m going to buy an EQ5 upgrading from an EQ3-2.

I could buy secondhand but is there a risk that the mount is worn? Is it possible to damage the mount?

Am I better to buy a new mount?