Re: Buying an EQ5

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 10:44 PM, <julianporter5@...> wrote:
Do you think aligning to the North Star with a laser will be good enough to then use the refinement function?
To get this perfectly right, you need the laser to be attached to the mount itself (not the optical tube), and you need to have it aligned (e.g. center Polaris through the polar scope opening, and then point the laser to Polaris). That way, the laser and the RA axis are aligned.

I would say that skip the laser, and just center Polaris through the polar scope opening, then do the 3-star + Refine PA routine. After all, Polaris is 40 arc minutes away from the NCP, and Refine PA should be able to handle that error range (and a bit more too).

Also try the smart phone sensors method, which I described before, and is linked to here, indoors first, then under the stars. Let us know how it works.