Re: Buying an EQ5

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 01:01 PM, <julianporter5@...> wrote:
Given the damping grease it would probably be a good idea to set the goto rate so that it is quite slow.
Not necessarily.
OnStep has a ramp up and ramp down in speed when slewing.
The defaults of over how many degrees this happens work well, and don't need to be changed.

Can I do this with the configuration generator? How do I do it in the configuration file? I’m using a MKS Gen L with TMC 2130.
You should not be using the configuration generator. Instead, use the 'master' branch which is OnStep 3.x, and it easier to configure directly by editing the Config.h file.

In there, there is a parameter SLEW_RATE_BASE_DESIRED and it is degrees per second that you want the maximum slewing speed to be. You can decrease it if you wish. I find that 1.5 deg/sec is the minimum practical speed.