Alternatives To Using Internal Stepper Drivers

smith_barry

Hi sorry if I am repeating a previous post, I have some components sitting in my workshop from a CNC build that I think I can build a decent GEM with but they are direct drive motors powered by 220v AC.  Fortunately I have the drives for the motors (Copley Control Xenus) which are step - dir based so I am thinking that I can simply connect into the board and run the step dir signals from the "onstep" control board out to the drives.  The encoders on the motors are Renishaw sin / cos so I can can change the resolution in software via the drive setup routines.  Can anyone see any problems with this approach for a goto based mount?  Its interesting to see how some of the mount manufacturers are changing from servo to stepper based power in the past servos were always seen as the way to go.
Thanks
Barry