toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
Remember to recycle those motors and boards to all those less fortunate Cge Pro owners!
Just wondering why you would not use the original base to locate all the electronics? Instead of have the extra box on the outside.
You made all the effort to use the orange anodizing....send me a couple of name plates and we can get them custom laser engraved.
Nice job on your mount...
ISent from my iPhone
On Aug 2, 2020, at 5:25 PM, tnut55 via groups.io
Nice job! I managed to solve all my regular CGE issues, so I'm still in that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it mode".
Firstly I would like to thank Jeff Latsch in another post for planting the conversion seed. I said and I quote "Just to add I would not consider converting my mount unless it was broken" well it wasn't broken and convert it is exactly what i have done.
As my mount was still working I wanted to complete the conversion without chopping anything off so I could replace the stock system if I needed to. I have used Nema 17 17HM19-2004S 2A 400 step motors with 12T-60T and 158mm GT2 belts giving 5-1 reduction.
I started by machining the centre hole in the original motor mount bracket to allow the 12T pulley to fit. I then made and anodised in "Celestron orange" 2 motor mounts that adapt the Nema 17 bolt pattern to the 3 hole stock motor pattern. The belts are tensioned via these 3 nuts.
I have also used the CGE Pro PEC/home and limit switches.I made new slave pcb's to go inside the motor covers to attach the switches and motors. The RA housing needed 9 terminals and the Dec needed 6 so new drive cables were made.
The motors fit perfectly inside the covers
I used a modified MiniPCB2 with Teensy 4.0, I added a small slave pcb to the teensy to pinout for the home switches and GPS. I soldered jumper wires to the slave pcb from the pads on the underside of the Teensy 4.0 using Pins 24/25 for GPS, 26/27 for home switches and 35 for PPS from the GPS module. I kept limit switch on the same pcb pin but modified the pinmap.
The case was also anodised in "Celestron Orange"
First Light 31.7.20
The scope is a 14" EdgeHD with a 0.7 reducer so 2737mm focal length, Guiding via OAG and PHD2
With such a long focal length I was expecting some huge teething problems so I switched everything on, clicked find home which worked perfectly then took a 10 second image at NCP. Oh no star trails! but worse than if tracking was switched off so I knew the RA motor direction was wrong. I reflashed the Config.h and took another image, perfect this time. I plate solved and slewed to the Bubble Nebular, it was not far off but another plate solve got it spot on.
Now have a look at this for a first image, its just a single 5 min Hydrogen Alpha sub but its unguided!! It wouldn't do a 2 min unguided sub with the stock setup.
With guiding on and no changes made from celestron motor setup, I'm sure I can dial this in further.
Just before the clouds rolled in I got a couple of guided 10 min pics of the centre of the Pacman nebular.
I am blown away by the out of the box performance of OnStep, many thanks to all involved. I will post an update when I get some clear skies.
Thanks for your time