Re: Using OnStep with GSS.

Matt

I'm afraid my backlash is a lot bigger than that. I used 8x speed to estimate the time needed for movement. SinceĀ it's 16 times faster I multiplied (16x7.5)x"time until movement". Would this work? My backlash ends up being 90" on RA and 960" on DEC...

ned, 27. ruj 2020. u 18:05 Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> napisao je:

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 11:23 AM, Matt wrote:
I haven't since phd2 tutorials stated that I shouldn't have any backlash compensation outside of phd2.
I do run PHD2 with backlash compensation.
It works.

But maybe that is because the values I chose leave several arc seconds for PHD2 to adjust further?

So in effect OnStep advances through the backlash very quickly, and leaves just several arc seconds
for PHD2 to handle. I know that OnStep handles backlash because of the sound the gears make when
going through the backlash at high speed (higher pitch).

I did not intentionally do it that way. I just adjusted backlash visually using 10X LiveView on the Canon
DSLR, on a terrestrial object during daylight, and it happens to work with OnStep.

I am not sure if PHD2 can handle large backlash or not. Assuming you are guiding at 0.5X, that would
be 30 arc seconds per second. With a backlash of 161" and 33", it would take a loooong time to go through
it when guiding ...

All the above should be taken with a grain of salt: I am no expert when it comes to autoguiding, since I only
started doing it recently, and still not well versed in it ...