Re: STM32 Blue Pill : Windows doesn't detect CP2102 #uart

Dave Schwartz

Try a different cable - one you know works to exchange data.

A lot of micro-USB cables are made as 'power-only'. If you picked up one that came with a device that only needed to charge and not exchange data, the manufacturer likely cheaped-out and omitted the two data wires.

You would not be the first (or second) who has fallen into this trap in this exact situation.

On November 27, 2020 11:44:09 PM EST, Mike Ahner <mahner@...> wrote:
Windows will detect the CP2102 if things are working. Do you get a red light on the CP2102 when you plug in the USB cable? The CP2102 is powered only from the USB port of the computer, so if you don't have a red led, you don't have a good connection to the computer. Perhaps your cable is bad?

If you have a red led but no COM port in the device manager, then perhaps your USB cable is a charging cable, not a data cable. Again, try another good USB cable.

The CP2102 will light red and show as a COM port without power to the OnStep controller. Another possibility is the CP2102 is defective.

-Mike