Re: The Dreaded Failed to Init Message

Dave Schwartz

The CP2102 is also the conduit for the SerialA command channel (or verbose output, not both at the same time).

On 2021-02-22 12:01 p.m., Ed Eastburn via groups.io wrote:
Khalid:
I have already removed the R3 and soldered between the ends (shorted it).  That allowed me (earlier) to repeatedly flash the Blue Pill as I was making adjustments for my mount; up to the point when communications stopped.
Based on everything you and others have suggested, and I have tried, it seems to isolate the issue to the CP2102 board.

Dave has a good suggestion to try reheating the solder connection on the CP2102.  Seems like that would show up when I was doing the common test, as trying to keep the probes on the pins would induce stress on the CP2102 board; then not as mush stress as plugging in the USB micro connector.

I'm thinking of unsoldering the CP2102 board from the PCB, replace it with a female header, then connect a new CP2102 board via the header.  I will need to hot glue a small plastic riser under the CP2102 to provide mechanical support, and fix the CP in place.

Does Onstep use the CP2102 for anything else other than flashing the Blue Pill?

Join main@onstep.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.