Re: Astro Physics 1200 - OnStep Conversion & Encoder Question

Curly

Khalid, I think he is guiding with an oag so his focal length is 910mm. His guide camera is a ZWO290.
Not everybody uses small guide scopes, I use an oag on my scope so my guider is 3910mm. There maybe 1 star in my fov if I’m lucky but you are unlikely to get good results trying to guide a long focal length scope with a short focal length guide scope.
I have an AZEQ6GT which I take to star parties and that constantly guides at 0.4-0.5 and I wouldn’t consider that a wow mount.

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 at 15:37, Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 12:34 AM, Rockmover wrote:
Ratio is 4, with 225 teeth on the main, so with 32 steps I get 320000 steps/deg.  I want to try stepping at 64 steps, which would be 64000.  I was afraid of the <=61200 note, but Howard said that's more of a suggestion so maybe this next week.  I want to to a somewhat 1:1 test of selecting something, guide for 30 minutes, record the tracking, swap the steps to 64 and again guide for 30...then go back to 32 and repeat to ensure seeing or something else didn't change significantly.  Maybe there will be no change...but maybe I can get it a little better. Guess we will see.
Howard did test OnStep up to 102,000 steps/degree, but still recommended staying below 61,200 in followup posts.
64,000 is much closer to 61,200 than 102,000, so worth a try.

The new runtime configuration feature is exciting and should help a lot in your case, and many other cases.

As for the backlash, please enlighten me on that.  I thought PHD sort of took care of that, but if its a step I am missing then I defiantly want to take the time to learn how to do that right!  Any good thread on the best procedure or even what to do.
If you are getting such ideal RMS, near the seeing limit, I would say don't bother with it.
It seems it is very low and PHD2 compensates for it fast enough to give you the guiding that you are getting.

But if you are still curious, search the messages, click search, then use "backlash terrestrial".
I have outlined the procedure more than once.

By the way, what is your guiding scope and camera?