Re: Advanced configuration control

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 12:30 PM, Howard Dutton wrote:
On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 09:02 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
We can only do this for a select few boards, with only two variations of drivers (LV8729 and TMC SPI drivers [I assume the TMC2130 and TMC5160 are the same code base])
The are different drivers so, no that part wouldn't work.
Bummer, but not the end of the world. So 3 driver variants, rather than just 2.

Some questions:

- On my S6 with the TMC5160, the default IGOTO (same as IRUN) would not work, and I had to set RUN to 675 and GOTO to 850 to make it work.
It would be good to hear if this is a bug, the description is just too vague for me to know.  Do you mean you couldn't optimize as well or it just didn't work.
I like 'simple', so when I got the TMC5160 on the S6, I started with just IRUN set to 675, which is the same value that worked with the Vexta NEMA11 18:1 motors for years with the LV8729. In other words, IGOTO was OFF, so default.
The mount would stall when slewing.
So I explicitly set IGOTO to 850, and then slewing worked fine ever since.

So maybe we need a separate IGOTO settings too?
Not in 4.x or 5.x, beyond that we'll have to see.
I am happy with that ...

Also keep in mind 5.x will probably be dropped as there is no sense working on it when OnStepX is coming into existence.
That is not an issue, since 4.x is not that far off from 5.x anyways.
When OnStepX catches up to 4.x functionality, 5.x can go away. In fact, you can take it behind the barn now, so it does not get much usage ...

The labels can be descriptive "Tracking Current" and "Slewing Current" for better usability.
I don't think it's a good idea to deviate from the Config.h lingo.
For configuration parameters that are to be edited, what humans understand is better than technical terms from chip tech notes.

We can also have it both ways:

Tracking Current (IRUN)
Slewing Current (IGOTO)