Re: Where to put the "resolution"? Pulleys, motors, drivers.. ?

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 04:40 PM, Pedro Miguel Barbosa Moutinho Nunes dos Reis wrote:
Regarding motor current, is that an issue using 2.5A motors with the 2130? Or limiting the current on the driver is enough?
I bought some 400 step motors just now realized that they are 2.4A

The starting current value that you should use for the motors will be (40% of maximum):

2.4A x 1.41 x 0.4 = 1.35A

That should work with the TMC2130, since it can do 1.5A, but may need a fan.

Here it says it can do 1A with heat sinks only, and 1.5A (implies heat sinks not enough? I don't know).
https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/4464

If the motors don't work well at that current, and you need to increase it to 60% or more, the TMC2130 are not suitable.

The TMC5160 does not have heat dissipation issues, and can handle any current, but is more expensive.

Again, both the TMC5160 and TMC2130 need a board that is wired for SPI.

That is why the 0.9A or 1.7A motors are preferred.