Re: Stepper Motor doesn't do anything...

Burton

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 05:30 PM, Dave Schwartz wrote:
So that's another reason not to use high power consumption motors when you don't need them... your whole power train has to be capable of running it.

You probably didn't pop the fuse but you may have browned-out and reset because your power supply may have collapsed before it's rating. I have encountered very few power supplies that behave well right up to their maximum rating, especially when they say 'Made in China' on them. I have linear power supplies with big iron transformers, pass transistors and heat sinks that are rated at 10 amps but start to do bad things at 8.

The MaxESP is capable of higher current to the motors with a higher value fuse. The width of the copper trace between the input and the driver Vmot pins is such that is capable of at least 5 amps. But you need a fuse and power supply capable of doing it. If the 3 amp fuse was supplied with the kit it was probably just a conservative guess and would be okay for the less power hungry motors most people use. When I used to do the STM32 BP kits I didn't include a fuse for exactly this reason.

I am just using nema17 motors so I was under the impression this is what everyone uses and that they don't need such high current?

I just soldered some wires across the gap of the fuse, and used the variable power supply to control the amperage, and set it to 5 amps as you recommended, and what do you know, axis2 now works? the motor and the driver were getting very hot and pulling about 4.2 amps at 12 volts. This seems like there must be something wrong? The motor and the driver clearly can't handle that much electricity for very long I'm sure, so I don't know what I need to fix in order to change that.

Also, AXIS1 does not respond at all, so I don't know how to troubleshoot that either