Re: Home sensors

Martin Bonfiore

Rambro,

I had a similar expectation on how the HOME sensors would work after powering back up in order to reestablish a mechanical reference for the telescope and mount.  As I can best understand the design of Onstep, based on a number of discussion on this forum, the designers of Onstep have a different philosophy on PARKING/UNPARKING the mount.

Personally, I would prefer to establish a mechanical reference when powering the telescope mount back up using the HOME sensors.  In my implementation, they are opto-interrupters with a few microns of repeatibility error.  On the other hand (based on my understanding which could be mistaken) the designers of Onstep chose to base the PARK/UNPARK operaton on an assumption that the mount and the relationship of the telescope to the mount did not change between power on and power off sessions.

The case that the scope did not move is for most cases very reasonable in my opinion...any movement would require (for most implementations) back driving a worm gear which is typically not possible and/or bumping the scope such that any clutches slipped.

While I accept that argument and certainly highly respect the designers (I could not have designed this system), I have been experimenting with changing the software (small modifications) in order to change the HOME with sensors operation to allow the homing after power up approach without needing to redo the alignment.  I am not sure where this will take me...understanding the code has not been easy for me, but certainly an interesting challenge and I have gained a great appreciation of what it takes to provide Onstep functionality.  I am no where close to sharing anything in that regard since my hacking is at the moment, not well understood or tested.