Re: hello everyone, i have a new question. If I install a powerful servo motor with encoder instead of stepper motor, will the system work? #mount

The Step/Dir interface is an industry standard and is not limited to driving stepper motors.

There is no end to the options available, most of us use stepper motors with open loop control since it's cheap and effective.  I doubt the scale of whatever "larger telescope" is beyond something that can be handled by a stepper motor of some sort but nothing stopping you from using a servo.

Here's another source that's been mentioned here before:
https://www.teknic.com/products/clearpath-brushless-dc-servo-motors/clearpath-sd-stepper-replacement/