Re: MaxSTM v3 through-hole construction tips

Howard Dutton

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 02:10 PM, <johnwashington1978@...> wrote:
Well, JLCPCB arrived in the post this morning and within 30 minutes or so I was up and running - I'm not too keen on the RTC dangling - I'll design up a small 3d printed block that screws between it and the pcb stand off hole - shall post it tomorrow.
I'll put that in the files section.

Other than that I didn't have any build issues - I sourced the majority of my parts from digikey - I had the leds and diodes already, used an lm7805 vreg and some ebay headers.
Technically the board isn't designed for the lm7805, they usually need stabilization caps nearby.  There's a 0.1uF but usually they need a 0.33uF too and the board doesn't have that one.  Then it's not going to be good for much current without overheating, especially if powering from 24VDC.  Might be ok, but best to use the spec'd switching regulator though.

If a wally like me can get it together and working, anyone can !!  Big thumbs up!
Thanks, these are nice boards in my opinion too, another step up in the evolution of the Max series.  Better documented, easier to source parts for, easier to assemble, better TMC stepper driver support (allowing the most important settings for all axes at runtime,) and more easily extended for BME280 dew heaters, etc.