Re: Focuser for MaxEsp3

Mike Ahner

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 01:28 PM, Seven Jones wrote:
so far it works well. Besides that 4 pin 4p4c cables is pretty hot. Href is 0,75V.
Seven, your 4-pin cable looks like a voice cable. Measure the resistance of the wire from each end, I think you will have a very high resistance. If so, that will cause a large voltage drop and the wire will start to heat up, as well as the motor. I don't see any reason at all that you should need a NEMA 17 or high current for a focuser, unless the focuser is damaged in someway that makes it very stiff to move.

Try a Cat-5 cable, you can temporarily strip back just 4 wires and twist them onto the motor wires. I think you'll find there is a big difference.