Re: Focuser for MaxEsp3

Howard Dutton

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 07:40 AM, Seven Jones wrote:
Yes, I thought so. But why is the speed much higher when the focuser goes back to the half position?
If that's the case, then your rate limit is the due to the focuser command design with 1mm/s being the fastest rate...

I will not change this in OnStep but I will bump up the manual positioning rates in OnStepX.

There are four pre-defined rates:

Currently (rates "2" and "4" are "slow" and "fast"):
1, 10, 100, 1000um/s

In X perhaps I will change to:
2, 25, 250, 2500um/s

The reason?  First, OnStepX is not exactly OnStep so I'm a bit more open to changes in settings/behaviors.  Also OnStepX has acceleration for focuser/rotator motion (which OnStep does not) so the likelihood of a motor stalling when asked to move a fairly high rate is less.  Acceleration also allows finer manual position control than is possible with OnStep at any given setting.