Re: 10 Inch GSO DOB planning phase questions #dob

Samuel.anderson123@...

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the detailed response. I can get all of that from ALIexpress, i'll copy. Do you ever get a gps to work with the Fysetc 2.0?

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 02:20 AM, Dave Schwartz wrote:
Considering your 'futures' list, I would recommend the FYSETC S6 2.0 as
the controller board. Its plenty fast, has 3 additional driver spots for
rotator/focusers, has onboard MOSFETs and screw terminals for directly
connecting dew heaters plus you can connect a GPS, ESP32 module for
simultaneous WiFI/Bluetooth operation, a BME280_SPI for ambient weather
sensing and dew heater temperature sensors for automatic heater power
control. I've done all of the above with an S6 except for the rotator.

On 2021-07-30 1:04 a.m., Samuel.anderson123@... wrote:
Hi Guys,

I've started my Dob conversion using Prosperguy thingiverse printed
gears. I have to do some fusion3D mods for it to fit my scope, never
used it, bit of a learning curve.
Waiting for some stuff that's on order etc. In the mean time I was
just trying to work out microcontroller, drivers, motors etc.
Could someone please check my proposed design below and let me know
your thoughts. Scope is a 10 inch GSO dobsonian.

1. The big gears (both ALt and AZ) will be 420 teeth and g2T belt
driven to a 20T smaller gear giving 21 reduction. (Happy to change the
smaller gear, don't know how to redesign the larger one)
2. I propose to use Nema 17 (200step) with integrated 100:1 gear box
to yield a total reduction of 2100. (happy to change if there's a
better option)
3. S109 drivers (Happy to change)
4. Teensy 4.0 (600Mhz) - fasters better? (Happy to change)
5. Some sort of wifi card. (Whatever Works)

I'm happy to design and make my own custom Circuit board and power supply.

What I want to use it for:

Lucky Imaging with high resolution tracking, happy for slow slew
speeds if it gets me more accuracy.
If I can also be greedy and have fast slew times of 5 degrees per
second that would be cool too, but not necessary.

How I want to use it:

Link Iphone via wifi with the tracking app to update time/location.
Open Sky safari for goto commands

What I'd like the possibility of upgrading:

Adding rotator for the camera
Adding Blutooth for that joytick control
Adding GPS for auto Location/time updating.
Adding humidity/temp sensor to calculate dewpoint and switching
heaters on/off (just the switching command is fine i'll work out the
power side)

Apologies in advance if any of the above is completely stupid and
won't work for obvious reasons.

Thanks.