Re: OnStep for Losmandy GM8

"Guilherme Vênere

Hi Stephen

I own a GM8 with OnStep and direct coupled motors. They work fine for Astrophotography. I believe you won't have issues with visual observing. Check the showcase for some pictures

Guilherme

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 9:36 AM STEPHEN COLLIE <52scollie@...> wrote:
I plan to upgrade my 11 year old GM8 from its Digital Drive system to GoTo functionality. I am a visual-only user, having no plans for imaging.
Obsiously, I’ve considered the Losmandy Gemini 2 Retrofit Kit but it is very expensive, especially importing into Canada.

Some forums posted an issue with the OnStep system’s coupler to worm gear and as the motor is direcly driven to the coupler (no gear reduction)
there are some issues with the smaller worm gear (180 tooth) of the GM8?

Does anyone have experience with the OnStep installation and operation on a GM8 mount?

Thank you,

Stephen Collie