Re: Best available steppers, boards, controllers, etc?

Howard Dutton

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 03:17 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
The Mini and Max are of course capable and speedy, but there are downsides. One has to order the PCB with a minimum quantity of 5 (or is it 10?) and with shipping it is not cheap. Then one has to source all the discrete components themselves, and put them together, which is no small feat for most people. Even if one is capable of soldering, what goes where and orientation needs to be learned, and mistakes happen.
There are downsides to the S6 also:

1. It wasn't designed with our application in mind, so a bigger hassle to really finish it off in a proper enclosure with connectors.
2. The I2C is semi-broken.  Yea, it can be worked around, but still.
3. Harder to flash with firmware.
4. All your eggs in one basket.  If the controller takes an ESD hit or you make an mistake and short/overload something you're in for a hassle and some expense/wait.  With a Teensy or ESP32S based controller it's more likely that you'll be able to fix it quickly with swapping the MCU, or a little soldering.  Same for the through-hole MaxSTM design.