Re: OnStep Commercial ??

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 11:14 AM, Dave Schwartz wrote:
I think we must treat this like Instein and say that, in general, the group is not Sharpstar's firmware support arm. If a vendor wants to package OnStep, that is fine and legal but this group is not able to support them except for some kind souls that may take pity on them. A vendor must have the resources to support the product they sell otherwise they're just stealing people's money.
I agree with this.

We have not seen any Sharpstar employees engaging in the community.
So we may end up with a significant number of people seeing the SHC logo, searching Google and ending up here, where they should have contacted the vendor.

On the first instance of this happening, we should add a FAQ entry to that effect.

Back to trademarks: just because Marlin is doing it differently, does not mean Howard should follow that model.
I have worked extensively with open source projects that did trademark (Drupal, the content management system that used to run the White House, and is now on the NIH, IRS, Home Depot, DocuSign, The Economist, several large universities, and so on ...). They trademarked for the reasons I mentioned, and mentioning now.

If Howard registers the trademark, he has a chance of not letting the name of the project be soiled by subpar vendors and service.  And him licensing the usage of the trademark to vendors (e.g. "Powered by Drupal") will be a cherry on top for some vendors, and a (modest?) revenue stream for Howard after years of putting in the work (and continuing to do so).

Though trademarks need to actively asserted to continue being valid. So it is not a "one and done" thing.