Re: confusion over settings for stepper motors

Prasad

Khalid

GR1  is really 20:1. 10 was wrong. I was there at Hopewell with Guy and Alan when we measured the ratio by counting the teeth.

Guy, please try changing the microsteps to 32 or 64 and let us see how it works.

-Prasad

On Saturday, December 18, 2021, 01:59:07 PM EST, Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:

What you are seeing is called "stalling".
Which is no movement with a high pitch sound.

The reason is that you are using 1/4 microstep, which is too coarse.
As I said earlier, you need to use 1/16, 1/32, or 1/64 only.
Lower than that you get stalling, higher than that you get torque and accuracy issues.

I also note that you change GR1 from 10:1 to 20:1.
Why did you do that? Based on what?

And it looks from the motors that you are directly coupled to the worm drive, and there
are no gear reduction pulleys.

If that is the case, you need GR1 to be 1:1.

So your spreadsheet should be:

12,764.44444    = 200,    64,    1,    359
12,764.44444    = 200,    64,    1,    359

Try again with that, and let us see if they still stall.
If they still do, then you can lower the max speed and try again.
And the stalling may be different on the bench where there is no load on the
motors, from when there is actually something to move.