Re: Started new OnStep hardware design

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 06:10 PM, skyguynca wrote:
You save time soldering and cost of components with board made for running external drivers. Using my MaxSTM is overkill. Realistically almost half of the board and components are used with just picking up the 3 pins for each driver. I know i will only save about $20 on single electrical components, but as far as drivers and steppers it breaks even.

The biggest saving is in time. Probably at my speed I will save about 4 to 6 hours in setup and soldering time not having to install about half of the sockets, caps, resistors and sockets that are not going to be used by using external steppers.
I still don't see why you need a new board at all.
Using external drivers has been a feature of OnStep for quite some time now.

Again, you can do all of what you said with a normal OnStep board.
Just don't buy the LV8729 or TMC5160.
In lieu of them, do the following:

Use a 10+10-pin adapter board which plugs in the socket of axis1 and axis2 drivers.

Don'tsolder any capacitors that are specific to the drivers at all. So you save on the cost of components and time to solder them.

Note that the MaxSTM requires an EEPROM chip, otherwise OnStep will not run at all.