Re: Started new OnStep hardware design

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 10:03 PM, John Petterson wrote:

I get it - you want to use something you are familiar with and comfortable with and you are not afraid of designing a board for this.  It will be interesting to see how that set of parts gets mounted on the telescope mount.

Ali Express has the TMC5160s listed at $30 for 2 of them (link below).

And there is nothing wrong with using external drivers, if that is what he prefers.
If that means he saves $10 (2 X difference between $10 TB6600 and $15 TMC5160), then so be it ...

My main issue with his line of reasoning is that he wants to design a new board to use external drivers.
But external drivers are already supported in existing boards.

He just needs to route the STEP and DIR pins from axis1 and axis2 to his drivers.

No new code needed! The configuration supports them already!

I even added them as in option in the Online Configuration Generator.