Re: ZWO harmonic drive

Wayne Hilliard

I would say on the RA drive no, no advantage to Harmonic Drive. Once your plate solved and guiding the RA axis should never encounter backlash. Now the Dec axis is different. You can reverse the Dec drive depending on several factors but having zero backlash on the Dec I would see as a huge advantage.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 8:15 PM Vladimir <cyberianice@...> wrote:
Strain wave gearing (marketed as harmonic drive) has been around for a while. Frankly, I don't understand people's obsession with it. It's zero backlash feature is main selling point, but there are some downsides, such as being exclusively axial by design or excessive vibrations when running at high speed due to input shaft mass distribution on elliptical gear that noone speaking about. For astronomy application these can be easily be ignored, but I would question it's input/output curve.

What is the point of having ZWO AM5 besides just saying that you have harmonic drive mount? It's advertised to have 40 arcsec periodic error (absolute). Is it worth having zero backlash and so much of PE?