Re: Started new OnStep hardware design

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 02:58 AM, John Scherer wrote:
Maybe he just wants to design a small board and share it with the group, for his own reasons.  I for one welcome this and do this often myself (design boards).
There are certainly valid reasons for creating a new board.
For example, to fill a void in the current offerings, correct a shortcoming, or having a smaller footprint, ...etc.
Or just to learn how to do it, and so on ...

What I am puzzled by in this case, is that he thinks the current boards have a restriction (can only use StepStick form factor drivers), and therefore cannot not do what he wants (use external drivers).
And based on those misconceptions, and wants to create a whole new board.

The truth is all boards can use external drivers. It is merely a matter of wiring.

He is also thinking of modifying the code for that, with all the long term maintenance headaches that this entails, while the code already has support for external drivers.

Reinventing the wheel ...