Re: New User - Encoders

smith_barry

Hi John, if the microcontroller is doing the quad decode then I agree with what you are seeing.  I am not sure how implementable it is but there are chips that do the quadrature and counting for you and then can download via the I2C bus which might be an alternative.  I have some chips from IC-Haus that allow up to 2048 interpolation of sin/cos encoders but its a good 5 years since I looked at them in respect of communication between the interpolator and microcontroller.  If you cut out the need for quad decode I would think you could just count single pulses on a pin?  OK this would lower the line count by four but you might be able to track a higher overall count rate?
Barry