Re: Which controller to use for next OnStep build?

George Cushing

No, that F411 won't work. Left pin positions are not the same as the PCB's.

The problem with the D1 R32 CNCV3 is that folks are drawn in by the cost and then want a silk purse. It is an excellent in inexpensive goto controller for someone whose interests are limited to basic goto control. Yes, in it's basic form it doesn't have many features. The problems arise when users attempt to add those features. A lot of forum time is spent dealing with various failed attempts at these upgrades.

When I saw what Roman Hujer had put together with his R32 Shield, I immediately realized that it addressed three unmet needs. First, it permitted tapping into the full power of the D1 R32's ESP32 and made adding features like PEC, Tone, RTC, WiFi, etc. a lot less problematic. Second, it filled a hole left by the "demise" of the $2 Blue Pill, which made a $30-35 controller kit possible. Lastly, it gave me a controller that I could offer assembled for under $30 for those that preferred to avoid DIY..

I've only had problems with a couple D1 R32 modules and at least one was abused by myself. I credit Roman with my success. He gave his Shield its own power supply, so I haven't seen or heard of any of the power problems others have struggled with.

I have some STM32 controller parts and have been playing with make a daughter board to adapt the PCB to the Teensy. Roman also has designed a Teensy 3.2 based mini PCB that takes advantage of the 3.2's RTC.