Basic Motors for a Dobsonian?

Gerry Byrne

When I bought my stepper motors for my Dobsonian conversion I assumed I would use the existing friction pad bearings and bought NEMA 17s with 50:1 planetary built-in gears. In the meantime I discovered the joys of ball bearings and constructed a Lazy Susan using a total of 16 roller skate bearings for the Az and eight bearings for the Alt. The various parts can now be turned with my little finger but the 50:1 gearings take an age to slew.  My question is: would ungeared NEMA 17 motors be powerful enough for this rig as it is now?
Gerry

_._,kjkn

--
Copernicus