Re: Guiding Problems with PHD2 and OnStep

Niki,

I use an EQ5 as well with an ASI120 (though on a 50mm SVBony guidescope).  I will go through my workflow for guiding:

- Polar drift align in PHD2 (be sure tracking is ON when doing this)
- 3 Star align in OnStep
- Run PHD2 and point the scope or camera to an area of the sky at +/- 20 deg in declination (this is what PHD2 suggests)
- Move the scope to the desired target and begin guiding, letting PHD2 automatically detect the guide star AND the exposure

A few things for you to check based on your problem
1) Did you set the correct guidescope focal length and camera pixel size in PHD2?
2) You mention this works well on a Skywatcher mount...does your EQ5 have significant backlash in either DEC or RA?
3) Are you doing guiding via WiFi or hard-wired from your computer to the OnStep board?

According to the WIKI, the pulse-guide command is always 0.25x, 0.5x, or 1.0x and never higher.
  1. With this separate pulse-guide rate any rate set at 0.25x, 0.5x, or 1x applies to both the normal guide rate and the pulse-guide rate.  Any rate set above 1x is applied to the normal guide rate only and the pulse-guide rate will remain at the last setting (0.25x, 0.5x, or 1x.)