OnStep Configuration Generator

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 06:20 am, <pete.ingram@...> wrote:
I was wondering if a configuration program might not be possible.  Obviously it would need to be PC based and then the Mac guys will cry foul.  Oh well.  My idea was formed around the concept of the config program actually writing to configxxx.h file.  Is this viable or even desirable?

What tends to happen, at least to me, is that I get a new widget and I immerse myself in its technicalities until it works.  I then use it.  Over time I forget how I made it work.  Obviously I have drawings and notes but, even so knowledge gets lost.
So I make OnStep work and then after two years I decide to upgrade some hardware that is incompatible with the current OnSTep configuration.  I now have to re-learn how it works.  This a configuration program would be a quick and easy way to get back running again.  I realize that this may not be a direction you wish to move towards.  Again, it's just a thought.

I will test anything you guys want if I am able to do so.  I'm just about to build another couple of MiniPCBs so I should have some non-destructive (to my rig) capacity.
Pete,

Great points in your post.

I am also convinced that a configuration generator is a UX (User eXperience) improvement, and will help people configuring OnStep.

So, I wrote an OnStep Configuration Generator for the Alpha branch.

It does most of the 'hard' parameters, and is in sync with Alpha as it exists at the time of this email (if you have an earlier Alpha, even from earlier today, please download a fresh version).

It defaults some parameters to enabled, and leaves a lot of the rest unconfigured.

Download it from my web site, and follow the instructions inside the file.

Let me know how it goes.