Re: Tracking Accuracy

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 07:54 PM, Ant No wrote:

if the big wave is your periodic error do you know it's period?

The big wave should be the period of my worm gear, which is 480 seconds (8 minutes).
This wave shows well in the blue component of Albireo.

The image was made over 960 seconds, so two full worm rotations.

This would let you work out the frequency of the small fluctuations which might give you a clue to what's causing them.

I am still stumped by what causes those small oscillations. I only saw them when the polar alignment was way off (hence the long streak left to right over 960 seconds).

If my measurements from the image are correct, the distance between Albireo A and B is 34 arc seconds (from the edge of one to the corresponding edge of the other). Using this measurement, the oscillations have a distance of around 4 arc seconds.