Date   

Re: Help Understanding Onstep with ASCOM Architecture....

hendrik
 

He means the ASCOM device hub (it gets installed with the ascom platform). You then connect PHD2 and stellarium both to the Device hub (which shows up as an ascom device itself). And the device hub is connected to the ascom "onstep" driver. 


Weird issues with PHD2 (probably some speed issues) #S6

hendrik
 

Hi there, 

i am new here, hope i am doing this right :')

I have recently build two onstep drives, one mks and one Fysetc (for a diy startracker and for my LXD75). This works absolutely brilliant, in combination with a hypertune to the mount this is bang accurate and backlash is more or less not existant it seems (feels like a new mount, awesome). 

The only issue i am having:
When i start calibrating guiding in PHD2 my mount sometimes slews like 1 to 2 degrees on the first calibration step. I checked all my settings etc and everything seems fine. 
PHD suggests a 1550mS calibration step for the guiders focal length and guide speed on 0.5, i have tried reducing the calibration step to like 150mS and then calibration is fine till PHD is trying to compensate backlash while calibrating (it will do that forever and error out). 

My usual starting sequence is:

Polar align using sharpcap
Power on fystetc and wait for GPS lock
Connect the fysetc to the pc and make sure everything is fine in the ASCOM driver (coordinates, time etc), here comes part one that might be the issue (have not tried this yet). I use the ASCOM device hub (i find it convenient). 
I start tracking on the device hub. 
I go to the guiding tab in the webinterface of onstep and click 0.5 (noticing that no speed gets highlighted but that might be normal, also if there is a way to set this to default to 0.5 guiderate with some setting i would love to hear that since i have not found anything about it). 
I slew to my target using stellarium (connected to ASCOM via the device hub) and maybe align it a bit using the slew buttons on the device hub screen, the rate on the device hub shows Variable 1*sec. (this might explain the one to two degrees)
Start calibrating PHD2 and then the issues seem to start

Yesterday i got the guiding to work when i go into the web interface, click slew speed to slowest and then 1x again and after that i did no more slews using stellarium or the device hub and went straight to calibrating. 
Stopped guiding to aligning the target in my frame again using the controls in the hub, and it goes haywire again. Slewed back to target in stellarium then did the clicking of the speeds in the webinterface of onstep and guiding worked again.

(in both cases working and not working it does make no difference if i have PHD connected directly to the onstep ascom driver or to the device hub). 


Typing this i just realized that 1 Deg Sec in the hub  * 1550mS of PHD2 = about 1.55 degrees of movement which might be it. But i would like to know how those rates relate to each other, if i slew using a rate set in the device hub  or i slew in stellarium does onstep switch to that rate and stick with it? And am i right in clicking the 0.5 on the guiding tab in the webinterface to set it to the 0.5 that PHD2 expects the mount to be at. 

Thanks to anyone who can demystify this for me, if it means stop using the device hub then so be it :')


Re: Question about focuser/rotator in MaxEsp3

George Cushing
 

It is possible that the folks designing the carriers for the LV8729 have provided the IC pin 6 with logic power so that it could be used on circuits the were designed for the A4988 and DVR8825, but the OnSemi datasheet (page 8 &10) states.


LV8729
Pin functions
Pin No. /  Name  / Pin Function
6        /    ST     / Chip enable

Reference describing operation
1) Stand-by function
When ST pin is at low levels, the IC enters stand-by mode, all logic is reset and output is turned off.
When ST pin is at high levels, the stand-by mode is released.

Virus-free. www.avg.com


Re: Wifi D1 on MKS Gen-L #wmosd1 #mks

 

Which version of the ESP8266 board manager are you using?  I am using 2.4.2 which is said to be stable, and seems what others have used with the MKS.

Could you post a picture of your wiring of the WeMos to the MKS?

And you are sure you have Serial C enabled with baud rate of 9600?  You could copy you Config.h file for others here to review.


Re: Question about focuser/rotator in MaxEsp3

Plamen Dimitrov
 

Hello Everyone,

Thank you guys so much for spending your time and helping me.

Hoped to find an easy solution for my focusers but didn’t happen.

This morning found another fault – the 12V regulator (OKI-78SR-12/1.0-W36-C) was in place but  has gone by an known reason ( regulated voltage was about 4V measured on AXIS 4 VMOT pin)- maybe because I used a power supply ( 24V) even that the voltage wasn’t the reason. So, found locally another one ( Vreg MC78T12 [12 V & 3A Output]) and replaced but still  no success with AXIS4.

Thanks to George and Haward for your time- I read carefully your messages but couldn’t find an immediate solution.  So here are few things I looked at:

 

  1. For AXIS1 & AXIS2 used LV8729 : voltage on EN pin measured on both drivers  and on  IO12 shown Low ( measured related to the ground - ~ 0V) while on AXIS4 – EN pin has shown high ~3.26V as well as on IO4 relative to the ground) . So, properly working drivers have EN (Low) and Not working AXIS4 ( Focuser) has ~3.3 V on its EN pin.

 Is this means that active state on the LV8729 driver should have EN  Low?

  1. VDD voltage for all drivers was measured ~ 3.25 V, VMOT for all drivers measured shown between  11.75V(Regulated  going to AXIS4)  < U <11.9 V ( Not regulated going to AXIS1&2)
  2. AXIS4 has also LV8729. Attempted to detect High/Low states ( as Ken suggested)  of DIR pin related to the ground for  all three drivers: on AXIS4 using SHC  and moving the focuser :no change of state was found, In AXIS1&2 : changing directions from SHC of RA & DEC  (<-…….o……..+>) produced  noticeable  changes of  amplitude of voltage (~ 2.5 V) in each direction

 

I don’t have an oscilloscope to measure the pulses.

For enabling AXIS4 I placed a jumper on “T” jumper section  (AUX2) so  EN  pin of AXIS4 driver get  connected to IO4 in ESP32.

I see the problem that IO4 sent High to EN pin and disactivate the AXIS4 ( Please correct me if I am wrong).

 

So, is there any way to enable AXIS4 driver in this situation?

 

Thanks for your help.

 

Plamen

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

From: main@onstep.groups.io <main@onstep.groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, 11 August 2021 at 6:39 AM
To: main@onstep.groups.io <main@onstep.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [onstep] Question about focuser/rotator in MaxEsp3

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 10:37 AM, George Cushing wrote:

IIRC if you are using LV8729 drivers or others that have EN be pulled high

Were these drivers requiring EN pulled HIGH to become enabled (a rather rare situation) it seems impossible they would have worked with other designs (as was the case evidently) without Dimitrov realizing a special OpStep setting had to be used.

On the other hand if they are like typical drivers needing EN pulled LOW to enable, AND they didn't happen to have built-in pull down resistors, that might do it.  But then he mentioned jumpering Aux2 to control EN on Focuser1 and that would have resolved the problem were this the cause.

All I can say is that my (MKS I think) LV8729's (and DRV8825, A4988, TMC2100) work fine with my MaxESP3 in the focuser/rotator sockets.

BTW the EN pins are left floating because...

  • Easier assembly vs. adding pull-down resistors.
  • The TMC2100 does standstill power reduction when its EN pin is floating, which is a nice option for a board without the spare pins for EN control.

I had an error in the Wiki (and my understanding at the time) where I suggested TMC2208's are best (for the same reason) but really they don't behave like TMC2100's in this regard.  So I updated the Wiki to place the TMC2100 back as the best option.  In theory some TMC2130's (the non-SPI) "DIY" aka stand-alone versions should behave just like TMC2100's though I've never experimented with that.. and with users mentioning the Vref voltages not being correct on these I would like to see this solution verified before recommending them.  That would be nice as TMC2100's are harder to come by.


Re: Experiences with TMC5160

Jamie Flinn
 

Thats just what I need!.....how do you rate the heat with 5160s - are you using small heatsinks? large?


STM32F411 #bluepill

steven.sharp2@...
 

Hi All, This is my first post so be nice, I have managed to successfully integrate Onstep onto my EQ5 mount and everything was working a dream until I blue up my Bluepill. I have been looking at my options and decided to go the upgrade route and purchase an STM32F411 I purchased 2 as it seems the bluepill is now difficult to get hold off and thought if I have a little mistake in the future I will have a spare. So I now have 2 x STM32F411RET6 64 pin Nucleo-64 PCB will this be ok as a substitute or will I need to change any of the software parameters.


Re: Help Understanding Onstep with ASCOM Architecture....

pettadavi70@...
 

Hola, tengo armado un equipo con
Esp32 Wemos y CN3.
Hoy estoy terminando la temporada de invierno acá en San Juan Arg.
Utilizó NINA para todo. Nikon D7100,
PHD2, Cartes du cier por qué puedo manejar el equipo.
NINA maneja bien los límites para Cambio de meridiano.
En PHD2 habilitar en menú, cambio de dirección en DEC para cambio de meridiano, NINA no le le manda el comando y pierde la estrella.
Saludos


Re: CGEM w/internal FYSETC S6 V2.0 #celestron #fysetc

Chris Vaughan
 

Nice job. I like the acrylic cover!


Re: Help Understanding Onstep with ASCOM Architecture....

Martin Bonfiore
 

Jay,

Thanks for your reply.  When you say a "device hub" would that be a USB hub?  If so, then I would use two different USB ports on the laptop to connect to the hub...one port for PHD2 program, the second port for Stellarium?


Re: I built it - now what? ')

Paul Nixon
 

I *may* have found the short. Because the short was intermittent, I picked up the board for yet another inspection, and when the short went away again. I tapped the board on my work bench and lo and behold, a 1/8th inch strand of wire appears from nowhere. I don’t know where it came from – could have been on my bench, I suppose. Could have been in the box I had stored all the components in. Dunno, but as of this moment, the short is gone. Yea!

 

Now, as to the Teensy power “issue” and separating Vin from VUSB, I was looking for the wrong thing – I thought there would be a nice, golden bridge between the pads. But it’s the trace I need to cut. So, this is likely the issue, and seeing that, I am excited!

 

Thanks very much!

 

Sent from Mail for Windows

 

From: Howard Dutton
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2021 12:00 PM
To: main@onstep.groups.io
Subject: Re: [onstep] I built it - now what? ')

 

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 11:30 AM, Paul Nixon wrote:

I have checked the board for shorts, and thought I might have possibly found one which I removed. The Teensy is okay (still reports OnStep when queried), and the WiFi module still does what it does. As you say, I will have to do more checking. Argh!

Not sure if this is the problem but it is advised that the Teensy's 5V power from USB be cut (per the Wiki assembly instructions.)

Power and USB:

The OnStep Mini should be powered from the motor supply.   A switching regulator provides 5V DC to the Teensy3.2 etc.  This has an input voltage range of 7V to 36VDC (other components limit us to 24VDC however.)  The stepper driver you choose will have a voltage rating which must also be considered.

  • The power switch header: There is a 2-pin power switch header labeled "J1", this header's pins must be connected together for the PCB to power up.  A switch is not normally used for this build so a shunt should be placed over the pins.

To eliminate the possibility of powering the MiniPCB from the Teensy3.2's Micro USB connection V+ (5V) power, the Teensy3.2 has a trace that should be cut.  You can see where the trace is on this page labeled "cut to separate VIN from VUSB".

***never use the Teensy3.2's Micro USB connector to feed power into the Teensy3.2 and MiniPCB***

 

 


Re: Help Understanding Onstep with ASCOM Architecture....

Jay Murphy
 

The ASCOM driver supports multiple connections. You could also use device hub to connect to Onstep and then connect everything to device hub.


Re: Setting backlash Question

Khalid Baheyeldin
 

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 04:16 PM, <regis@...> wrote:
Maybe on EQ mount you don't need start the tracking manually because of TRACK_AUTOSTART config that's work only for EQ mounts.
The behaviour is different in 4.24 (for the better ...)

Even without that parameter, a mount that has the location and time set should be able to slew immediately, then track automatically after the slew ends.

That parameter will start the tracking on power up, without a slew.


Re: Setting backlash Question

regis@...
 

First of all thanks by your fast response.
 
I did the trick... was a newbie mistake...
I've trying to  do a slew as soon as I set the Observing Site and Date/Time... After your answer I realized that I need to start tracking, then stop tracking, after that I can do the slew with tracking disabled.

Maybe on EQ mount you don't need start the tracking manually because of TRACK_AUTOSTART config that's work only for EQ mounts.


Re: Setting backlash Question

Khalid Baheyeldin
 

I don't have an Alt-Az mount, so there may be differences.

On an equatorial mount, OnStep 4.24 has a major improvement in usability over
older versions. That is, it can slew immediately if the location and date are set.
So with a controller with an RTC, or a mount with a GPS, the mount is immediately
able to slew. On controllers that have neither the extra step would be to enter the
date/time (from Android -> Initialize -> Set Date/Time), and the assumption is that
the location has been set at least once since the controller was tested initially.

Regardless of how I reach a condition where I can slew, on an equatorial mount,
I can go to Tracking -> Stop, yet the NSWE keys under Guiding would still work.

Just tested all that now and it works on my STM32 controller that is configured
for equatorial.

Again, no idea if any of that is different on Alt-Az.


Re: Setting backlash Question

regis@...
 

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 10:02 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
There is a simpler way to adjust backlash than what is in the Wiki.
No calculations needed ...

Basically, during daylight, use a faraway stationary terrestrial object.
For example a communication tower, a nail on a neighbour's chimney, or something like that.

Start OnStep normally, then slew to that object.
Turn off tracking.
Now using trial and error, try to refine how the object is centered when you move E and W.
If it jumps, then the backlash value is too high, reduce it.
If it lags, then the backlash value is too low, increase it.
Keep doing this until you don't observe any jump or lag when you reverse direction.

Repeat with N and S buttons for the other axis.


 Hi Khalid, how are you? 

I'm struggling with backlash on 100:1 planetary gearbox here, I use an handcrafted dobsonian mount, and I'm triyng to motorize that.

I saw this method os backlash adjustment described, but... I only can move the OTA with tracking enabled (on the Android App > Tracking > Start ... or via :Te# command, on Serial)...

If I go to the Guide/Focus > North/South East/West ... or :Me# or :Mw# nothing happens and at the serial console I see the below message:

MSG: CMD_CH_B "Mw", Error slew in standby

Can you please tell me how to move the telescope with tracking disabled to do the "Terrestrial Object Backlash adjustment"??
 


Re: I built it - now what? ')

Howard Dutton
 
Edited

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 11:30 AM, Paul Nixon wrote:
I have checked the board for shorts, and thought I might have possibly found one which I removed. The Teensy is okay (still reports OnStep when queried), and the WiFi module still does what it does. As you say, I will have to do more checking. Argh!
Not sure if this is the problem but it is advised that the Teensy's 5V power from USB be cut (per the Wiki assembly instructions.)

[I get the feeling from the discussion this might not have been done.]

Power and USB:

The OnStep Mini should be powered from the motor supply.   A switching regulator provides 5V DC to the Teensy3.2 etc.  This has an input voltage range of 7V to 36VDC (other components limit us to 24VDC however.)  The stepper driver you choose will have a voltage rating which must also be considered.

  • The power switch header: There is a 2-pin power switch header labeled "J1", this header's pins must be connected together for the PCB to power up.  A switch is not normally used for this build so a shunt should be placed over the pins.

To eliminate the possibility of powering the MiniPCB from the Teensy3.2's Micro USB connection V+ (5V) power, the Teensy3.2 has a trace that should be cut.  You can see where the trace is on this page labeled "cut to separate VIN from VUSB".

***never use the Teensy3.2's Micro USB connector to feed power into the Teensy3.2 and MiniPCB***


Help Understanding Onstep with ASCOM Architecture....

Martin Bonfiore
 

I have been successful using Onstep connected to Stellarium (direct connect via USB serial port into Onstep).   I also have a SHC running on Onstep.

I am now trying to figure out how to do guiding with PHD2 with  Onstep but hopefully also using Stellarium.
.  
As best I understand, I need to employ ASCOM drivers for PHD2 (though it appears that it is possible to use ST-4 ) . 

What is confusing me is how (if possible) I can guide using PHD2 while also running Stellarium??? 

Let's say that I have a Windows laptop running both Stellarium and PHD2 and connected via one USB to my Onstep controller.  Can both the Stellarium and PHD2 guiding play nicely together over the one USB port (I guess via ASCOM drivers?)....or does using PHD2 to guide preclude using Stellarium over the same USB port...???  Or do I somehow need to get ST-4 in the mix??  

Thanks in advance for any help.


Re: Question about focuser/rotator in MaxEsp3

Howard Dutton
 
Edited

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 10:37 AM, George Cushing wrote:
IIRC if you are using LV8729 drivers or others that have EN be pulled high
Were these drivers requiring EN pulled HIGH to become enabled (a rather rare situation) it seems impossible they would have worked with other designs (as was the case evidently) without Dimitrov realizing a special OnStep setting had to be used.

On the other hand if they are like typical drivers needing EN pulled LOW to enable, AND they didn't happen to have built-in pull down resistors, that might do it.  But then he mentioned jumpering Aux2 to control EN on Focuser1 and that would have resolved the problem were this the cause.

All I can say is that my (MKS I think) LV8729's (and DRV8825, A4988, TMC2100) work fine with my MaxESP3 in the focuser/rotator sockets.

BTW the EN pins are left floating because...
  • Easier assembly vs. adding pull-down resistors.
  • The TMC2100 does standstill power reduction when its EN pin is floating, which is a nice option for a board without the spare pins for EN control.
I had an error in the Wiki (and my understanding at the time) where I suggested TMC2208's are best (for the same reason) but really they don't behave like TMC2100's in this regard.  So I updated the Wiki to place the TMC2100 back as the best option.  In theory some TMC2130's (the non-SPI) "DIY" aka stand-alone versions should behave just like TMC2100's though I've never experimented with that.. and with users mentioning the Vref voltages not being correct on these I would like to see this solution verified before recommending them.  That would be nice as TMC2100's are harder to come by.


Re: I built it - now what? ')

Paul Nixon
 

Thank you!

 

My target mount is a CG5-class, either an LX70 or a Exos2 – I have both.

 

As for motors, I have a variety, some Nema 14 and others Nema 17. However, I am thinking of what to do now *before* attempting to connect motors, like adjusting the Vref pots, that sort of thing.

 

The first time I powered on the OnStep, it was without any of the plug-in boards. The power LED lit.

The second time was with the Teensy and Wifi module. Both power and STA1 LED lit.

 

Plugged in USB cable from Teensy to PC – PC powered off.

Unplugged power. Removed Teensy from OnStep. Rebooted PC. Plugged Teensy USB into PC – all is well. Programmed Teensy.

Thought I read something about downloading firmware to WiFi module, so connected that to PC via USB. Nada. Determined WiFi module dead. Connected replacement to USB and PC. Familiar ding. Determined I didn’t have to muck with the firmware after all.

Put Teensy and Wifi module onto OnStep. I also had the TMC2130’s installed in preparation for tweaking their Vref. Unfortunately, something went wrong and I ended up with a blown fuse.

 

I have checked the board for shorts, and thought I might have possibly found one which I removed. The Teensy is okay (still reports OnStep when queried), and the WiFi module still does what it does. As you say, I will have to do more checking. Argh!

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Khalid Baheyeldin
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2021 9:23 AM
To: main@onstep.groups.io
Subject: Re: [onstep] I built it - now what? ')

 

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 12:18 PM, Paul Nixon wrote:

I have built a MiniPCB2 version of OnStep, and I am now wanting to configure/test it out. However, I am unsure how to proceed. For example, the instructions say if using TMC2130 drivers then set a "reasonable" current limit in config.h. What is "reasonable"?

Depends on what motors you are using, which in turn depend on what size mount you are targeting.

For an EQ5 type mount, the NEMA17 0.9A or 1.68A.
If you have motors, let us know what models are they, and we will recommend values.

Otherwise, see the showcase page on the Wiki for links to what people used.

Also, once complete, is OnStep WiFi only?

No. All OnStep boards have USB and can be used with it.

I ask because my AstroEQ connects to my NUC via serial cable, but when I connected the Teensy3.2 to my PC while powered, it shut down my PC (thankfully didn't blow anything).

That is a problem. Do not plug it in again until you have identified the problem.
In fact, don't even power it on.
How to identify it is a bit technical. Start with checking for shorts using a continuity multimeter.

 

7781 - 7800 of 43715