Topics

Alt Az mount with goto to only

mariusz.klos@...
 

Hello,

To begin with - I want to say thank you to Howard - for this great work.

I am planning to add steppers to my small alt-az mount. Only belt transmission with 1:7 ratio. No guiding, no pec, no tracking.. just goto - and alignment. Is it possible with OnStep?

Best regards
Mariusz Kłos

Khalid Baheyeldin
 

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 06:51 PM, <mariusz.klos@...> wrote:
I am planning to add steppers to my small alt-az mount. Only belt transmission with 1:7 ratio. No guiding, no pec, no tracking.. just goto - and alignment. Is it possible with OnStep?
All of that is possible with OnStep ...

You don't have to use an ST4 port, nor PEC if you don't want to.

Except for: the tracking part. OnStep will track after a goto is done.

But you can stop the tracking from your Android phone after the Goto is done. Which means that your OnStep controller needs to have WiFi.

Regarding the belt transmission, we need more information: is the overall reduction 1:7, or there are other gears in the gear train?

Howard Dutton
 

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 03:56 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
Except for: the tracking part. OnStep will track after a goto is done.
Tracking doesn't just get re-enabled after goto's so this isn't true.

Khalid Baheyeldin
 

Doesn't the normal sequence start with an Align, which enables tracking, and then gotos have the tracking enabled automatically after that, unless it is turned off manually?

In other words, after an align, he has to turn off tracking manually, then OnStep will not track after gotos. Right?

Howard Dutton
 

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 05:23 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
In other words, after an align, he has to turn off tracking manually, then OnStep will not track after gotos. Right?
Yes.

Just sounded like you were saying tracking had to be stopped after each goto.