CGE power up

Jay Murphy

Here's a quick video of the CGEs first power-up! Seems to be working great!

https://youtu.be/rRU2I-RRI7k

Khalid Baheyeldin

Congratulations!

OnStep is way ahead of the vast majority of commercial controllers/handsets.
Once you are over the learning curve, you will not want to go back to a proprietary controller ever again.

Jay Murphy

Thank you, Khalid. You and Howard have been so tremendous throughout the process. I came in knowing next to nothing about building computer systems like this. All I knew was that I had a busted CGE and needed a solution. Through reading your documentation and these forums I've brought my CGE back to life for less than the cost of repair would've been. (I even sold many of the original components of the CGE and ended up coming out ahead financially). Now I have a robust and inexpensive system that I understand fundamentally and will be able to keep running as long as I care to. Thank you so much. Here are a few photos of the process.

tnut55

Very nice!

I have not given up on my CGE yet but after running it a while, motor problems came back.

I swapped RA and DEC.  The problems followed the motor...so there you go.  Looks like I may be going Onstep unless I find a motor.

Keep us updated with how it performs for you.

Mark

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 7:50 PM, Aisling Lightworks
<stercust@...> wrote:
Here's a quick video of the CGEs first power-up! Seems to be working great!

https://youtu.be/rRU2I-RRI7k

Khalid Baheyeldin

Very nice! You have the controller inside the mount, with a fan too!
And that welding is awesome.
Now that we have enough info for other CGE users, I added this thread to the showcase page.

Jay Murphy

First night out under the stars! Guiding is fantastic!

Jay Murphy

Well not FANTASTIC fantastic, but I've certainly seen worse. Definitely good enough for photography. I think my problem is my backlash adjustment and my balance. I wasn't very careful with either. I also turned the current down to 1 amp because they were getting really hot at 2.

tnut55

Keep the reports coming!  I don't like the backlash on my exos1 but then that mount was never intended to be a goto mount I think.

Mark

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 10:12 PM, Aisling Lightworks
<stercust@...> wrote:
Well not FANTASTIC fantastic, but I've certainly seen worse. Definitely good enough for photography. I think my problem is my backlash adjustment and my balance. I wasn't very careful with either. I also turned the current down to 1 amp because they were getting really hot at 2.

Jay Murphy

So, I adjusted the balance on my scope and the guiding dialed right in. 0.6" on each axis. I've never had guiding this good. Onstep for the win. Unfortunately I'll it's way too hazy to actually get decent images but I'll get some soon. I'll start a comprehensive write up tomorrow.

Jay Murphy

It was way too hazy out to image, but I did take a few for the hell of it. Here's a single guided 6 minute exposure of m51

tnut55

It looks like you are off to a good start.  This encourages me to just go ahead and modify my CGE.

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 2:16 AM, Aisling Lightworks
<stercust@...> wrote:
It was way too hazy out to image, but I did take a few for the hell of it. Here's a single guided 6 minute exposure of m51

Jay Murphy

Edited

A more comprehensive video about the project.

https://youtu.be/5lo9jkjqjHU

Jay Murphy

Seeing is dreadful because of the wild fires in Canada, but here's an hour's worth it exposure on M81. Having some tracking issues. I think PHD2 is just being too aggressive. But otherwise I'm getting very good subs overall.

tnut55

Not bad!  Your dreadful skies are better than my best skies because of light pollution.  I've pretty much given up on deep sky imaging.

On Monday, June 3, 2019, 4:25:35 AM CDT, Aisling Lightworks <stercust@...> wrote:

Seeing is dreadful because of the wild fires in Canada, but here's an hour's worth it exposure on M81. Having some tracking issues. I think PHD2 is just being too aggressive. But otherwise I'm getting very good subs overall.

Jay Murphy

Edited

Short video demonstrating Onstep's accuracy in the field.

https://youtu.be/NKqlJi7bLRM

Howard Dutton

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 08:12 PM, Aisling Lightworks wrote:
Well not FANTASTIC fantastic, but I've certainly seen worse. Definitely good enough for photography. I think my problem is my backlash adjustment and my balance. I wasn't very careful with either. I also turned the current down to 1 amp because they were getting really hot at 2.
I haven't really been following too closely but assuming "they" being the motors are 2A rated running at < the rated current can certainly work and work well.  Sometimes though more is better with regard to guiding and the "authority" with which the motors respond to tiny micro-step changes.

Also, stepper motors driven to 100% usually get rather hot.  This is normal, and most people myself included don't go there... especially since 100% at 2A usually requires a Vref setting to give 2.8A (since micro-stepping only goes to 70.7% current and motors are rated both coils @ 100%.)

Jay Murphy

They're performing well with a .65 Vref which is giving them 1.3a

Jay Murphy

Better backlash adjustment and better balance. I never thought I'd get guiding this good out of this old mount.

Jay Murphy

Better PHD2 settings and implementation of a PEC sensor and training.

Jay Murphy

If you can't make it out in the image, that's .5" total error. Really superb guiding.