Topics

Setting Guide rate.

Terry Fishlock

Quick question. PHD should get the guide rate from Onstep. How do I set teh guide ratein onstep forPHD2 touse. I do not have wifi and cannot reach the website for some reason. Is there a way to set in the guide tab of the onstep arduino setup. Or can I set it in sky Planatarium even though I will be using SGP fo rimaging?

Aisling Lightworks

The only way I can think of if you can't access the web server is to send the command manually through the serial connection in the Arduino IDE.

On Sat, Jun 8, 2019, 8:56 PM Terry Fishlock <telfish@...> wrote:
Quick question. PHD should get the guide rate from Onstep. How do I set teh guide ratein onstep forPHD2 touse. I do not have wifi and cannot reach the website for some reason. Is there a way to set in the guide tab of the onstep arduino setup. Or can I set it in sky Planatarium even though I will be using SGP fo rimaging?

Aisling Lightworks

There's information here on the command set.

http://www.stellarjourney.com/index.php?r=site/software_telescope

Khalid Baheyeldin

More explicitly:

Do either of these in the Serial Monitor of the Arduino IDE:

Set the rate to 0.25X
:R0#

Set the rate to 0.5X
:R1#

On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 05:56 PM, Terry Fishlock wrote:
Quick question. PHD should get the guide rate from Onstep. How do I set teh guide ratein onstep forPHD2 touse. I do not have wifi and cannot reach the website for some reason. Is there a way to set in the guide tab of the onstep arduino setup. Or can I set it in sky Planatarium even though I will be using SGP fo rimaging?
Sky Planatarium (SP) has guide rate controls in the Connections->Control menu item (and in the imaging console too.)
The Android App too.
And the Web site.
And the Smart Hand Controller (SHC.)
And the Basic Hand Controller.

Aside from the above most users have the separate pulse guide rate option enabled.  If so any guide rate <= 1x sidereal is remembered (even if powered off and back on) and used for pulse guiding and sometimes on the ST4 port (depending on settings.)  I set for 0.5x and forget about it.  For normal guiding to center objects always use > 1x and pulse guiding will always use 0.5x (PHD2 etc.)

#define SEPARATE_PULSE_GUIDE_RATE_ON

simingx@...

I find that the Indi driver sets the guide rate to 1x no matter what I set it to beforehand. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Khalid Baheyeldin

Mine stays at 0.5X, which I set from the Guiding menu in the Android
app, and it does survive power offs.

Terry Fishlock

Thanks  guys, managed to set it through the serial monitor and we are guiding. Now to fine tune

George Cushing

I'm building MiniPCB V. 127A to replace a Vixen DD-2 controller that is no longer produced. The Teensy 3.2 will be falshed with V. 2.22. The user interface will be the Basic Hand Controller.

The wiki for the Basic Hand Controller states in part:

Press and hold [E]+[W] buttons for > 2 seconds...

[E] decreases and [W] increases guide rates (or if tracking

I'd like to know what is the increment in correction speed for each actuation of the E or W switches? The DD-2 had 2X, 4X and 8X.

Thanks, George

Howard Dutton

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 09:55 AM, George Cushing wrote:
I'm building MiniPCB V. 127A to replace a Vixen DD-2 controller that is no longer produced. The Teensy 3.2 will be falshed with V. 2.22. The user interface will be the Basic Hand Controller.

The wiki for the Basic Hand Controller states in part:

Press and hold [E]+[W] buttons for > 2 seconds...

[E] decreases and [W] increases guide rates (or if tracking

I'd like to know what is the increment in correction speed for each actuation of the E or W switches? The DD-2 had 2X, 4X and 8X.

Thanks, George

The Vixen MT-1s, if that's what you have, can do very slow but just usable goto at about 0.5 deg/s (this is tried and true, in-fact a user with this setup just stopped by the group) so not sure if that's what you're going for but wanted to mention.

I'm pretty sure the guide rates selected with the basic hand controller are as follows...

1x
8x
48x
1/2Mx (half the maximum slew speed.)

Howard Dutton

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 11:41 AM, Howard Dutton wrote:
The Vixen MT-1s, if that's what you have, can do very slow but just usable goto at about 0.5 deg/s (this is tried and true, in-fact a user with this setup just stopped by the group) so not sure if that's what you're going for but wanted to mention.

I'm pretty sure the guide rates selected with the basic hand controller are as follows...

1x
8x
48x
1/2Mx (half the maximum slew speed.)
Note that user seems to use 0.4 deg/s for gotos which just happens to be 96x and so 1/2Mx is 48x in that case.

George Cushing

Actually a bit surprised the MT-1 will spin that fast until I ran the numbers:

But that implies a MaxRate of 250.

This is for a friend who is really not interested in goto at this time. I've done a few simple Arduino 328P based stepper drives for folks who just wanted  RA tracking and E/W corrections. I was thinking I could expand on that as a way to re-power this GP. Went to sleep cogitating on the code changes needed and circuit layout. I woke up and realized that the stripped down MiniPCB running OnStep would do all my friend wanted, provide a path to goto should he change his mind and save me a lot of work. A plus is that I found a project box on Alibaba that's a perfect fit for the 127A flavor of the MiniPCB.

I paid Joann a buck for the board and populating the board with the exception of the $22 Teensy 3.2 cost $5. Add $2 for the project box and about $7 to put the Basic hand control together and I have a $37 replacement controller for all those dead DD1 & 2 controllers. Not to mention another way to introduce folks to OnStep. Thanks.