Topics

Connecting OnStep to INDI

Hi
I'm playing around with INDI installed on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ using the  Astroberry installation on the RBP--I installed this configuration several months ago and had limited success then .  When I first experimented with this I was using my original iOptron mount configuration, which of course I've replaced with OnStep.  I would expect that things should go better, assuming there is a decent INDI driver for OnStep now.
Are there any instructions floating around on how to setup Astroberry (a StellarMate clone of sorts) to run with my OnStep-modified mount?  One note--I'm currently running OnStep in WiFi station mode connecting to my home wifi network.
I'm basically a Linux klutz, so any help is appreciated.  (I did learn enough to install Astroberry on my RBP, which wasn't easy)
BTW Onstep works great for me under ASCOM and a win7 laptop--I just can't leave well enough alone!!!
Thanks for any help
Richard

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 10:45 PM, Richard Shagam wrote:
I'm playing around with INDI installed on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ using the  Astroberry installation on the RBP--I installed this configuration several months ago and had limited success then .  When I first experimented with this I was using my original iOptron mount configuration, which of course I've replaced with OnStep.  I would expect that things should go better, assuming there is a decent INDI driver for OnStep now.
There is a very good driver for OnStep, and it is included with the indi-bin package, so nothing extra to install.
Just make sure that you update to the latest packages.

Are there any instructions floating around on how to setup Astroberry (a StellarMate clone of sorts) to run with my OnStep-modified mount?
I use INDI/KStars on a laptop, so not familiar with Astroberry.

One note--I'm currently running OnStep in WiFi station mode connecting to my home wifi network.
INDI does not work over WiFi. So you have to connect a USB cable from OnStep to your INDI box.

simingx@...

As Khalid mentioned, use the serial link. I wouldn't want to depend on an adhoc Wifi link to be stable over a few hours...
After all the whole point of it is to leave the Raspberry outside and VNC into it from your laptop in the comfort of your room :)

Thanks, I'll give it a try.  Will there be any conflict with Onstep running in station mode while it is hooked via USB to the RBP?
Richard

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 11:33 PM, Richard Shagam wrote:
Will there be any conflict with Onstep running in station mode while it is hooked via USB to the RBP?
The USB serial and WiFi serial are totally independent.
I have OnStep connected via USB to INDI/KStars, and at the same time, the WiFi on OnStep is connected to my home network so I can control the mount over the phone, simultaneously.

simingx@...

Nope, no problems using the serial and USB channels simultaneously. I have a phone connected to Onstep's WiFi network to see what it's doing while controlled by the computer.

Thanks.  Just played with the Astroberry RBP setup some more using your suggestions.  Running the USB cable worked fine, as you suggested.  I may give up trying to use the RBP/Astroberry setup, however, as it seems to be creaky slow compared to my aging Windows 7 laptop.  And too many mysterious settings-I've already solved those kinds of problems with the ASCOM-based software.  Long Live ASCOM!!!  Now I wish our evening thunderstorm clouds would go away so I can finally take some pictures...

simingx@...

Well it is slow compared to a Windows PC, but I use it for (somewhat) remote control of the mount. Kstars is really fun and my friends are envious of the automation :)
That said I do have a Raspberry Pi 4 on order which should improve things somewhat..

Khalid Baheyeldin

I use KStars/Ekos/INDI on a laptop, so speed is not an issue. The laptop is not new either (2011 or 2013), but I put an SSD in it.

With the laptop outside, I remote into it using NoMachine over WiFi, and run everything that way.

KStars is an all-in-one solution from planetarium, to plate solving, to focusing, to guiding, to image sequence.
It is a really nice platform.

If only it can do on the fly stacking (for EAA), it would help those like me who are not into post-processing.

Alain K

Hi Khalid,
For my information, witch version of linux do you run?

Thanks.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 11:12 PM, Alain K wrote:
For my information, witch version of linux do you run?
I run Xubuntu 18.04 LTS, and use Jasem's PPA for KStars/INDI packages (installation is documented on the INDI forum).

On some usually rare occasions, a new release will introduce an error (e.g. Canon driver will crash). In this case, I was able to use gphoto2 manually from the command line as a backup scheme. If you report the error on the INDI forum, it is quickly fixed within days by Jasem.

You can use Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu or Xubuntu, or even Linux MINT. They are all interoperable, and use the same package formats. Whichever you find yourself liking the best.

Some useless background: My preference is Xubuntu since I use it as my desktop anyways, so everything is familiar and the same whether . I used to have KDE as my desktop, but 16.04 removed some stuff from it (weather applet), and dumbed down the configuration (which was KDE's strong point: everything is configurable). So I switched to Xubuntu.

Ask any other questions, and I will try to answer them the best I can.

Alain K

Thanks Khalid.

Roman Makov

Can't connect Onstep to INDI Kstars with wi fi. Mount control is available through the web interface and SHC and Skysafari IOS. Driver version 1.7. Error "Error stopping N/S" motion

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 07:12 AM, Roman Makov wrote:
Can't connect Onstep to INDI Kstars with wi fi.
The INDI driver requires a serial device (e.g. /dev/ttyUSB0), and that is over USB.

That is the way the INDI driver for OnStep (and most other mounts) are written.

Gregory L Holloway

I notice that everyone says you can't connect to the INDI driver over wifi, but I seem to have done. There is an option in the LX200 OnStep connections tab that allows Ethernet as a connection option. If I fill in the details I can connect. I don't know if this is a new function. I have attached a screenshot.

Gregory L Holloway

scrap that, while it connects it doesn't actually appear that any functions work....

Khalid Baheyeldin

Nice find!

I have the INDI version from Jasem's PPA, and it is there if you click on 'Ethernet'.

I can connect over WiFi, but I can't issue any commands.
They are ignored without any error message.
The cursor does not move either, unless I disconnect and connect INDI.
It will update the initial location, but not continuously.
Commands from the Android App work.

Tried TCP and UDP. No difference.

Not sure what is going on.

Roman Makov

I confirm. all bluetooth and usb connections work wifi with the Sky-safary IOS application also works only the INDI driver cannot control

George Cushing

"Running the USB cable worked fine, as you suggested.  I may give up trying to use the RBP/Astroberry setup, however, as it seems to be creaky slow compared to my aging Windows 7 laptop. "

Keep that old laptop! I let MS update my desktop recently (Win10.1) and lost the ability to connect with my Brother printer's scanner. There's no apparent work around. MS acknowledges the issue with out apology. Told my wife no Win 10 for her, she's stuck with 8 for the duration!

Gregory L Holloway

I posted some questions about the Ethernet function on the OnStep INDI forum thread (https://indilib.org/forum/development/1406-driver-onstep-lx200-like-for-indi.html?start=564) but it has been 4 or 5 days since I posted it. As a new user I have to wait for my message to be reviewed and that does not seem to have happened. It seems to be taking longer than expected, should i post again or is there another things I can do?