Focuser information

Howard Dutton

On Sat, Oct 5, 2019 at 07:11 AM, Gianluca Galloni wrote:
#define AXIS4_DISABLE_OFF            // Pin A22 (Aux6.)  Default _OFF, use HIGH for common stepper drivers.
#define AXIS4_DISABLE HIGH
#define AXIS5_DISABLE HIGH

Is a good idea though you seem to think they have power.

Gianluca Galloni <gianluca.1997.29@...>

The engine has always worked and the connections have not been changed, but I will do another test; the drivers work, I tested them with the same engine model at the time of calibration.
I copy the part of the code related to the focuser, I have done nothing but set to ON to activate them

// FOCUSER1 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Pins 34,35 = Step,Dir
#define FOCUSER1_ON                  // use _ON to enable this focuser, default=_OFF
#define MaxRateAxis4               8 // this is the minimum number of milli-seconds between steps, default=8.  In DC motor mode PWM frequency.
#define StepsPerMicrometerAxis4  0.5 // figure this out by testing or other means.
#define MinAxis4               -25.0 // minimum allowed position in millimeters, default = -25.0
#define MaxAxis4                25.0 // maximum allowed position in millimeters, default =  25.0
#define AXIS4_REVERSE_OFF            // reverse the direction of focuser movement.
#define AXIS4_DISABLE_OFF            // Pin A22 (Aux6.)  Default _OFF, use HIGH for common stepper drivers.
#define AXIS4_AUTO_POWER_DOWN_OFF    // use _ON if you want to power down the motor at stand-still.  Default _OFF.  Ignored in DC motor mode.
#define AXIS4_DC_MODE_ON             // enable DC focuser instead of a stepper motor.  Automatically uses Phase 1 if enabled.  Default _OFF.

// FOCUSER2 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Pins 30,33 = Step,Dir (choose either this option or the rotator, not both)
#define FOCUSER2_ON                  // use _ON to enable this focuser, default=_OFF
#define MaxRateAxis5               8 // this is the minimum number of milli-seconds between steps, default=8.  In DC motor mode PWM frequency.
#define StepsPerMicrometerAxis5  0.5 // figure this out by testing or other means.
#define MinAxis5               -25.0 // minimum allowed position in millimeters, default = -25.0
#define MaxAxis5                25.0 // maximum allowed position in millimeters, default =  25.0
#define AXIS5_REVERSE_OFF            // reverse the direction of focuser movement.
#define AXIS5_DISABLE_OFF            // Pin A21 (Aux5.)  Default _OFF, use HIGH for common stepper drivers.
#define AXIS5_AUTO_POWER_DOWN_OFF    // use _ON if you want to power down the motor at stand-still.  Default _OFF.  Ignored in DC motor mode.
#define AXIS5_DC_MODE_OFF            // enable DC focuser instead of a stepper motor.  Automatically uses Phase 2 if enabled.  Default _OFF.

Motor is connected at Focuser 1

@Maniaquera

Roughly it can be a problem of the connection of the motor coils. Make sure they are correctly connected and that the driver current is correct.

Howard Dutton

Provide us with more information, like the Config.xxx.h focuser settings.

Howard Dutton

Ask specific questions.

Gianluca Galloni <gianluca.1997.29@...>

Hi everyone, finally we have completed the assembly of the new telescope system with OnStep and we are again ready to start the remote system. The last missing piece of this system is the autofocus system, we obviously want to use the one integrated in the MaxPCB but we have some difficulty in getting the motor to move: the system recognizes the focuser without problems and is able to command, the problem is that the motor makes noise without making any movement.
It is a 1.8A / 0.4A NEMA17 with a 5.17x reducer, all driven by a properly calibrated and tested DRV8825.
From the config.h we have activated the focuser, but there are other parameters of which we do not understand in all their meaning and we think these may be the problem.
I hope someone can help us
Thanks