3D Printed Star Tracker Design

John Scherer

This is NOT my design but I wish it was!  This design is really slick!

https://www.reddit.com/r/functionalprint/comments/ebxgv1/who_needs_a_400_star_tracker_when_you_have_a_3d/

Khalid Baheyeldin

Related: Roman Hujer designed a 3D printed OnStep powered mount.

Corey Mooney

Very cool,

I love the split ring equatorial mount. My pipedream scope would be a 12"-17" in a big OnStep SplitRing.

I made a simple 1 axis star tracker way back when.

I was surprised there where only barndoor trackers on thingiverse, so I made my own proper one.
I never ended up using it much because I OnStepped a Super Polaris soon after.

I never released the files, I wanted to make some design improvements, but never got around to it.

I was thinking about taking that design and making a small  OnStep  2axis Alt-Az similar to the SW AZ-GTi.

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 7:05 PM Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:
Related: Roman Hujer designed a 3D printed OnStep powered mount.

tomofreno2000

The mount John posted looks elegant. Could have a lot of fun with that setup. The split ring or horseshoe mount works well for small scopes but gets unwieldy and difficult to transport for larger scopes. Also requires a large storage space. I designed a similar mount for a 10" scope a number of years ago, made of Aluminum. The idea was to use it for AP at dark sky sites.  The RA disk was 24" O.D. I abandoned it because it was looking too heavy and awkward to load up to transport to dark sky sites.

John Scherer

Edited

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 05:58 AM, Corey Mooney wrote:
I love the split ring equatorial mount. My pipedream scope would be a 12"-17" in a big OnStep SplitRing.

Its been a favorite mount design of mine since I was about 12. It has benefits for a fully automated system (non-visual), and zero backlash if friction or belt driven.