Error when compiling Wifi-Bluetooth in Release 2.22

Thomas Westerhoff

Hi,
I use the Wifi-Bluetooth addon for a while and it worked well. Now I added two encoders and after flashing the firmware to the ESP8266 it goes to a continous reboot loop with the following messages on Serial
16:31:37.563 ->  ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,6)
16:31:37.563 ->
16:31:37.603 -> load 0x4010f000, len 1384, room 16
16:31:37.603 -> tail 8
16:31:37.603 -> chksum 0x2d
16:31:37.603 -> csum 0x2d
16:31:37.603 -> vbc204a9b
16:31:37.603 -> ~ld
This error only appears if both encoders are enabled!
If I only enable Encoder 1 by "AXIS1_ENC_AB" and "AXIS2_ENC_OFF" it boots correctly. If I only enable Encoder 2 with "AXIS1_ENC_OFF" and "AXIS2_ENC_AB" it boots correctly too.
Could this be a memory problem?

my config.h is attached.

Thomas Westerhoff

Hi

I got this issue fixed by making some changes in Paul Stoffregens Encoder.h like described in this post https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/Encoder/pull/49/files/3cd0d33cb85d496c16f481fb5316844c6c7bf6de
It looks like this isn't commited to the Github master branch of the Encoder lib, yet. So I had to do the changes amnually in the local code.
--
Thomas Westerhoff
Kirchheim Observatory /Germany

Howard Dutton

Figured that might be the case, thanks!

Thomas Westerhoff

Well, I can compile the project (latest master branch), but the encoders still do not work. The signals and the wiring are OK and also the variables _enAxis1 and _enAxis2 are changing when encoders move but there is no reaction of the onstep.
The Encoder tab is visible at the webservers homepage of the ESP8266 but when clicking on it I will get no answer.

--
Thomas Westerhoff
Kirchheim Observatory /Germany
http://sternwarte-kirchheim.de/

I'll duplicate your setup on a MaxPCB2 (I guess that's what you are using) and test.

Arduino version?
ESP8266 (Arduino board manager) version?
OnStep version?
Same exact config.h file as below?
Latest Paul S. Encoder lib with the patch detailed below?

Howard Dutton

For now... on my MaxPCB2:  Using the latest OnStep and Wifi Add-on.

At the moment my LXD75 mount I keep around to test this is in pieces with no encoders hooked up but otherwise everything seems to fire right up as expected.  I used ESP8266 v2.4.2 in the Arduino board manager and an unpatched Encoder lib, otherwise your exact settings where known.

Thomas Westerhoff

The good news:
The latest Wifi Addon (github checkout this morning) works with the Onstep 3.13c on my Teensy3.6.

The bad news:
I'm going out of my mind. As I said I checked out the latest code version of Github (master) this morning and now I can't compile OnStep (Teensy3.6 MaxPCB2) at all. The Arduino IDE (1.8.10) claims the Align.h file is not there, but it is there in the editor as well as in the directory, as you can see. I'm beginning to hate the Arduino IDE.

--
Thomas Westerhoff
Kirchheim Observatory /Germany
http://sternwarte-kirchheim.de/

  • Last change to the GitHub master branch WiFi Addon was 22 days ago.  I wonder if the cheapo ESP8266 flash memory misses writing a bit here and there sometimes.
  • I use the same Arduino IDE version.
  • Normally the OnStep.ino file is in the left most tab in the IDE, I don't see it there in your screen shot.
  • I see the directory name enclosing OnStep is called "Onstep" not "OnStep"... windows file system isn't case sensitive but perhaps that's tripping up the IDE.

Howard Dutton

If you do happen to get this working be sure to read about how the encoders work here:

https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/8-Advanced-Topics