Topics

TMC2130 listings on ebay

Prasad

Looking at ebay listings and I see most are showing pins sticking above the pcb. Is this OK to use? Also, the version is v3.0.
Inline image

Thanks
Prasad

Khalid Baheyeldin

They are OK, as long as the description says they have SPI.

If you use on one of the OnStep PCBs, you can use them as is, optionally cutting the up-pointing pins (if they would touch something conductive).

If you are using them on an MKS Gen-L v1, you either cut the down pointing pins, or make sure you take out the jumpers underneath, so you use only the up pointing pins with Dupont wires.

Howard Dutton

Very vague question with no specific brand mentioned but...

No that doesn't look ok.

From what I understand the Bigtree version 3 comes in two models a DIY version and an SPI version.
The SPI version seems to have two extra pins in the side holes as shown in this eBay listing.

I'm not sure some sellers even know what they're listing so good luck!

Ant No

OTish but how much on the fly control does SPI give over microsteps? Is it just the mode, stealth, chop etc, or can you change the microstepping rate 64, 32, 16 etc?

Ant👣

On 11 Feb 2020 22:02, "Howard Dutton" <hjd1964@...> wrote:
Very vague question with no specific brand mentioned but...

No that doesn't look ok.

From what I understand the Bigtree version 3 comes in two models a DIY version and an SPI version.
The SPI version seems to have two extra pins in the side holes as shown in this eBay listing.

I'm not sure some sellers even know what they're listing so good luck!

Howard Dutton

For OnStep version 4:

Only the micro-step mode is switched on the fly.  The advantage being that you don't need to switch "just one or two levels".  For example, switch from 128x (tracking) to 4x for (slews.)
Now as before everything else (decay mode, current level, etc.) is switched before/after the slew.

This matters most for the Mega2560.

Ant No

Thanks Howard.

Is that the way On-Step implements control or a limitation of the driver itself?

Ant👣

On 12 Feb 2020 19:19, "Howard Dutton" <hjd1964@...> wrote:
For OnStep version 4:

Only the micro-step mode is switched on the fly.  The advantage being that you don't need to switch "just one or two levels".  For example, switch from 128x (tracking) to 4x for (slews.)
Now as before everything else (decay mode, current level, etc.) is switched before/after the slew.

This matters most for the Mega2560.

Ant No

What I'm wondering is if the spi can allow microstep switching on the fly? There's someone in another forum relating to automating metal working machines that's interested in that.

I thought you'd know the answer.

Ant👣

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 05:19 PM, Ant No wrote:
Is that the way On-Step implements control or a limitation of the driver itself?
I don't understand the question.  There was a limitation as described but that limitation is now removed.

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 03:21 AM, Ant No wrote:
What I'm wondering is if the spi can allow microstep switching on the fly? There's someone in another forum relating to automating metal working machines that's interested in that.
This is still new code but, at this point, yes it seems to work properly.  I write to only the TMC CHOPCONF register and bit-bang it (no hardware SPI help.)  The reason being that we usually want universal StepStick driver support with our controller designs and you can't do that and have a single SPI bus to both Axis1/2.

Ant No

What I'm asking is if it is possible to use a TMC2130 or other driver with SPI to change microstep rate on the fly?

Not specifically in On-Step but in the way the SPI works on the drivers.

A person in a different forum with a different application would like to be able to. I had an idea it was possible but I'm not sure.

Ant👣

On 14 Feb 2020 11:30, "Howard Dutton" <hjd1964@...> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 05:19 PM, Ant No wrote:
Is that the way On-Step implements control or a limitation of the driver itself?
I don't understand the question.  There was a limitation as described but that limitation is now removed.

Ant No

I may not be fully understanding your previous answer.

Ant 👣

On 14 Feb 2020 11:37, "Ant No" <cmpaqp1100@...> wrote:

What I'm asking is if it is possible to use a TMC2130 or other driver with SPI to change microstep rate on the fly?

Not specifically in On-Step but in the way the SPI works on the drivers.

A person in a different forum with a different application would like to be able to. I had an idea it was possible but I'm not sure.

Ant👣

On 14 Feb 2020 11:30, "Howard Dutton" <hjd1964@...> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 05:19 PM, Ant No wrote:
Is that the way On-Step implements control or a limitation of the driver itself?
I don't understand the question.  There was a limitation as described but that limitation is now removed.

Ant No

I think it's the word mode that's ambiguous to me. Mode as in stealth, chop etc or mode as in microstep rate?

Sorry to be dense.

Ant👣

On 14 Feb 2020 11:38, wrote:

I may not be fully understanding your previous answer.

Ant 👣

On 14 Feb 2020 11:37, "Ant No" <cmpaqp1100@...> wrote:

What I'm asking is if it is possible to use a TMC2130 or other driver with SPI to change microstep rate on the fly?

Not specifically in On-Step but in the way the SPI works on the drivers.

A person in a different forum with a different application would like to be able to. I had an idea it was possible but I'm not sure.

Ant👣

On 14 Feb 2020 11:30, "Howard Dutton" <hjd1964@...> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 05:19 PM, Ant No wrote:
Is that the way On-Step implements control or a limitation of the driver itself?
I don't understand the question.  There was a limitation as described but that limitation is now removed.

Ok now I understand.  StealthChop and SpreadCycle are "decay modes" (along with fast decay, slow decay, and mixed decay) and control how the driver manages delivering current to the motor coils.

They have nothing to do with the micro-step mode.  StealthChop is essentially silent no noise but doesn't work well at high RPMs.  SpreadCycle makes some noise but allows the motor to run faster.  Its best to switch into SpreadCycle before slews since StealthChop to SpreadCycle can be like a bump in the road and has to happen at low speed.

Howard Dutton

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 03:57 AM, Howard Dutton wrote:
Its best to switch into SpreadCycle before slews
Although in some cases where the motor RPM is low enough (low reduction) you can stay in stealthChop for smoother quieter slews.

thomas.westerhoff24@...

Hello Prasad .
Yes thats ok. These extended pins on the upper side are for the use in 3D Printers with older boards like the MKS GEN L v1.0. There are no SPI wires routed on the PCB itself and if yout want to use SPI you have to install additional wires. It's easier to install these wires on top of the driver module

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUadiW5QLBE

--
Thomas Westerhoff
Kirchheim Observatory /Germany

Howard Dutton

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 02:02 PM, Howard Dutton wrote:
Very vague question with no specific brand mentioned but...

No that doesn't look ok.

From what I understand the Bigtree version 3 comes in two models a DIY version and an SPI version.
The SPI version seems to have two extra pins in the side holes as shown in this eBay listing.

I'm not sure some sellers even know what they're listing so good luck!
Again... that is NOT the correct driver.

Howard Dutton

If you take a look at the images in this listing you can get the idea...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32970150483.html

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 06:37 AM, Ant No wrote:

What I'm asking is if it is possible to use a TMC2130 or other driver with SPI to change microstep rate on the fly?

Yes.

Not specifically in On-Step but in the way the SPI works on the drivers.

It used to be that OnStep had a limitation on changing the microstepping on the fly, but Howard has new code that makes this no longer a limitation for OnStep.

So, there is no reason why other applications can do the same (change microstepping over SPI for TMCxxxx drivers). You can point them to the commit log on Github for them to figure out how this is done.

A person in a different forum with a different application would like to be able to. I had an idea it was possible but I'm not sure.

Possible. See above.

Ant No

Thank you both.

Does the TMC**** include the newish high current 5 something driver?

I seem to remember there was some limit (no spi?) or two versions or something?

Ant👣

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 06:15 PM, Ant No wrote:

Does the TMC**** include the newish high current 5 something driver?

For the sake of simplicity, for OnStep, we recommend two SPI models:

- TMC2130: for low current motors, can heat up
- TMC5160: for high current motors, less heat dissipation

Both allow on the fly microstep switching, so potentially higher slewing speeds.

There are others which use a different interface (e.g. UART for TMC2208, no specific interface for TMC2100), and there is the  TMC2209 which is neither SPI or UART within OnStep but works nonetheless with special support.

They do work, but most don't allow microstep on the fly switching. Also, the TMC5160 being available makes the rest less appealing, since they had the edge in higher current vs. the TMC2130.

So, for the sake of reducing variations out there, I tend to recommend only the first two.

I seem to remember there was some limit (no spi?) or two versions or something?

The different versions continue to be an issue as Chinese manufacturers continue to make things that work on certain 3D printer boards, but not others, and try to overcome the basic wiring in popular 3D boards (e.g. RAMPS) which does not allow on the fly microstep switching.