Troubleshooting with counterfeit Blue Pills

rominetb44@...

Hello,

I have built an Onstep controler based on a blue pill hardware witch currently works fine.

I have recently bought other STM32 blue pill using the link given in the project desciption :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/STM32F103C8T6-ARM-STM32-Minimum-System-Development-Board-Module-For-Arduino/311156408508

I encouter some trouble : this blue pill is not based on an STM32F103C8T6 but CKS32F103C8T6 (chinese copy).
 - First problem : The BOOT0 jumper won't works. It is because the resistor R3 (100k) using between the pin BOOT0 of the chip and the +3.3V is too high for this chip (good for STM32). I replaced it with a 10k resistor and it works fine.
 - Second problem : The flash memory of this chip is 64K, so the chip programing crashes halfway (it works fine with smaller programs like led blinking).

Did someone know where to buy blue pills with guenuine STM32 chip ?

Regards,

Romain

Khalid Baheyeldin

I don't know if these are counterfeit or licensed clones.

If the Flash memory is 64K it will not work at all with OnStep.
The minimum OnStep needs is 128K.

So far, all the Blue Pill that have an STM32 chip had 128K.
Your case is probably the 2nd case with the Chinese clone chip, and they saved a few cents by making it 64K instead of the 128K.

Martin Bonfiore

You may want to check the web for discussions regarding "64K" stms.  For example:

I personally am skeptical that there are clone chips per se...I find it more plausible that some chips have defects in the upper 64K and therefore are downgraded to be labelled as 64K or  *maybe* to save a few cents in testing (if they do test) the upper 64K.  I personally had a stm32 that was supposed to be 64K but turned out to be really a full 128K.  YMMV.  Good luck...

rominetb44@...

Thank you for your answer.
I bought it by following the link indicated in the wiki.
I'm afraid to find more and more "case with the Chinese clone chip".
I'll try another seller.

Romain

rominetb44@...

The blue pills I have bought are provide white CS chip (not ST) :
https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/02/10/cs32-mcu-stm32-clone-bluepill-board/

Khalid Baheyeldin

It is very hard to know whether the chip you will get will be made by ST, or CS.
The images on eBay are usually accurate, but often not. The shop on eBay is
at the whim of his warehouse, which in turn is at the whim of their suppliers.

But if you buy from George Cushing's OnStep kit web site, he can check the markings
on the chip and make sure they are STM32.

George, if you have some CS marked chip, can you check if they are 128K or
64K? The ST flashing tool should tell you.

rominetb44@...

Thank you very much.
I tried with ST-Link Utility, the CS is 64K.

I found a seller on ebay who assures me the ST chip :
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/5325-1-%C3%A0-10pcs-STM32F103C8T6-ARM-STM32-Development-Board-Module-for-arduino/173558731928?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=472240911423&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Thanks a lot.

Khalid Baheyeldin

Don't rely on the ST-Link dongle. I have one, and it reports 64K on the
regular Blue Pill, which reports 128K in the Arduino IDE, and works
fine with OnStep.

Try the ST Flash Loader instead.

https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/flasher-stm32.html

Martin Bonfiore

Re: CS32F103C8T6... A new clone?

Hard not to be confused about the 64/128 issue...particularly since it seems that even real STM chips read (depending on the tool) as 64K even though they have 128K.

This is something I found on an arduino forum...nominally an example of a C8 that has 128K...

Post by RogerClark » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:15 am

I only tested one of my boards, but its a C8 and definitely has 128k, as I've written and verified a random binary file to the board.

PS. Initially I made a 128k data file with 0xDEAD 0XBEEF repeated throughout.
But I realised that the read back verification would not spot a problem if the 64k was mirrored to 128k, so I used a file filled from /dev/random and that also verified

So I'm pretty confident the chips I have are 128k (but still only 20k RAM )

Prasad

The eBay listing given by you says 64K Byte Flash, 20kB SRAM.

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 09:54 PM, Prasad wrote:
The eBay listing given by you says 64K Byte Flash, 20kB SRAM.
They all say that, but historically, almost all the Blue Pill came with 128K.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190527040051/http://wiki.stm32duino.com/index.php?title=Blue_Pill

Prasad

Thanks

Prasad

On Monday, April 6, 2020, 10:06:31 PM EDT, Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 09:54 PM, Prasad wrote:
The eBay listing given by you says 64K Byte Flash, 20kB SRAM.
They all say that, but historically, almost all the Blue Pill came with 128K.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190527040051/http://wiki.stm32duino.com/index.php?title=Blue_Pill

rominetb44@...

Hello,

I have bought this product on Amazon which is more expensive (but you can send it back freely on amazon if necessary) :
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07TSKNWQQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is provided with STM32 chip and Onstep is flashing/working well (I think so it is 128K, despite of ST-LINK utility declare 64K).

Thanks.

thaiacepilot

I have same problem may new boards cannot use serial or boot0, can program using STLink only simple program like Blink work fine but onstep is stuck that mean I should buy new boards right?

rominetb44@...

I'm dealing with the seller to be refund...
Did you buy it on ebay (alice1101983) ?
Maybe dysfonctionning set.