Simple smart hand controller


Matthias
 

Hello, Howard, or whom it may concern...
now that the latest version is working i want to build the (simple) smart hand controller. Can I build and operate the Simple smart hand controller (with the ESP_wroom_32s) with the current onstep master (version 3.2) I think the schematic was originally for the teenAstro project. Or is there a better current schematic ?
Best regards Matthias and stay healthy!


Khalid Baheyeldin
 

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 12:38 PM, <matzgp@...> wrote:
Hello, Howard, or whom it may concern...
now that the latest version is working i want to build the (simple) smart hand controller. Can I build and operate the Simple smart hand controller (with the ESP_wroom_32s) with the current onstep master (version 3.2) I think the schematic was originally for the teenAstro project. Or is there a better current schematic ?
Best regards Matthias and stay healthy!
There is already an ESP Smart Hand Controller that uses the ESP32 microcontroller.

Schematic and PCB are here

https://easyeda.com/dschwartz/onstep-shc


Matthias
 

Hello Khalid, thank you for pointing that out. Honestly, I'm not familiar with this kind of schematic. Unfortunately I only have normal 4.7K resistors. How do I have to connect them instead of the resistor networks...
Best regards Matthias


Khalid Baheyeldin
 

I don't know if 4.7K are enough or not. Dave Schwartz will answer this.
 
But a resistor array can be made from discrete resistors.
For example:

https://learn.pimoroni.com/tutorial/hacks/inline-resistor-network
 
For the SHC, you need a display too, and buttons.
All the parts are on the BOM of the EasyEDA project.


Matthias
 

... like that way?


Dave Schwartz
 

The resistor networks are 2.2K (2K would also work). You can use discrete resistors by tying one end of each to the common pin (pin 1... the square pad) and then then other ends into the individual round pad. The idea is that the resistance is 2.2K between the square pad and each round pad.

The other issue is that the ESP32S SHC PCB on EasyEDA is designed for a 5-way pushbutton in the center ... not something everyone is likely to have lying around.

Your schematic shows a .98" display but the 1.3" is much more legible for very little extra cost. Some people are starting to use the 2.4" display but I don't think there's a compelling case for it because its much more expensive but doesn't provide much more in terms of legibility (and the resolution is no better so it's not like you can cram more info on it).


On April 8, 2020 2:38:39 PM EDT, Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:
I don't know if 4.7K are enough or not. Dave Schwartz will answer this.
 
But a resistor array can be made from discrete resistors.
For example:

https://learn.pimoroni.com/tutorial/hacks/inline-resistor-network
 
For the SHC, you need a display too, and buttons.
All the parts are on the BOM of the EasyEDA project.

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.


Matthias
 

Hello, Dave and thanks for the quick answer!
I understood about the resistors, but is my exemplary wiring (N) correct?
One more question, sorry, which socket (RJ12) is for the ST4 connector on the onstep... I think RJ1.
I think this wiring from Khalid works without the 5-way switch and yes a 1.3" is much better.
Happy Easter, despite covid...
Matthias


Dave Schwartz
 

Yes, your example where you have the N from the momentary switch (pushbutton) connected to the N input pin on the ESP32S and also to N on the resistor network is correct. I won't explain the function of the pull-up resistors - you can look it up it you need to know more. The 7-resistor network is for the pushbuttons, the 4-resistor network is for the auxiliary RJ12 (guider pass-through) jack performing the same function as those resistors in the controller. If you're not going to need the pass-through function you can leave off the 4-resistor network and RJ2.

Typically we don't draw all the lines between the points in a multiply-connected circuit on the schematic because it gets very messy very quickly. Its a convention that every point identified by the same-labelled pentagon shape is somehow connected in the same 'net' by the traces of the PCB. It tends to leave a bunch of seemingly-disconnected parts but makes sense once you understand the convention.

On 2020-04-08 4:04 p.m., matzgp@... wrote:
Hello, Dave and thanks for the quick answer!
I understood about the resistors, but is my exemplary wiring (N) correct?
One more question, sorry, which socket (RJ12) is for the ST4 connector on the onstep... I think RJ1.
I think this wiring from Khalid works without the 5-way switch and yes a 1.3" is much better.
Happy Easter, despite covid...
Matthias


Matthias
 

Hello, Dave,
That's exactly what I thought. The system of pull-ups is clear and now also the twisting or non-twisting concept. Thank you very much for your patience and detailed answer. I will let you know if it works. Matthias


Jerry
 

The value of the pull ups is not critical. 2.2k is lower than I would use personally, i usually use 4.7k. But anything in that range will be fine. 

-Jerry

On Apr 8, 2020, at 9:57 PM, Matthias <post@...> wrote:

Hello, Dave,
That's exactly what I thought. The system of pull-ups is clear and now also the twisting or non-twisting concept. Thank you very much for your patience and detailed answer. I will let you know if it works. Matthias


Matthias
 

Hello Together
I'm starting to get lost... I've been trying to rebuild the SHC. It worked so far, but I can't get a lock. Connection Failed... I don't use an ESP 32S but a 32D. MISO is at 19 and SLK at 18... instead of 12 and 14 did not help either. Maybe somebody knows what to do.

dear easter greetings
Matthias


Matthias
 

Hello,
i'm afraid i have produced a (small) short circuit between +5V and PIN23... and i have found a 2nd schematic (dschwartz 2019-01-08) in the meantime, where RA+ and RA- are swapped on RJ1 and RA- is now connected to PIN 23/MOSI... (as in pinmap) RA- I had previously connected to PIN 12... (dschwartz 2018-08-27). Now I am waiting for a new ESP32 board... the program is loading but I still have "connection failed" (doesn't matter, there are worse things)
Happy Easter Matthias


Matthias
 

Hello,
I'm not giving up... wanted to measure what voltage PIN23 delivers when connecting... and apparently measuring gives the initial spark... ...and suddenly ESP connects and works. (without measuring though not) The voltage rises up to 0.6V... weird. Maybe somebody knows what to do... or how to change it... Too little voltage in total (<5V) Matthias


Dave Schwartz
 

I'm not sure where you would have found the first version (V1.1) of the ESP32 SHC design... I did the design on EasyEDA and updated it in-place. EasyEDA must have some prior-version access feature.

The problem with the pin23 connection was that there is a strange boot behavior where, if the level on the pin is high at boot time, the chip boots into a different run-time mode. You have to dive pretty deeply into the documentation to find this out. The documentation says that even in this mode, the software is supposed to be able to switch it into normal running but I did not find this to be true. Since that pin was used as one of the ST4 signal lines, and thus had a pull-up at the controller end, it didn't boot when plugged into the controller (but did when connected via USB for flashing, which was very confusing). The procedure to fix this on the V1.1 board by cutting a trace and installing a fly wire is still in the assembly instructions document.

This is probably also the issue with the ESP32+shield controller where it has been said you need to remove a resistor to get it to boot.

On 2020-04-10 6:38 a.m., Matthias wrote:
Hello,
i'm afraid i have produced a (small) short circuit between +5V and PIN23... and i have found a 2nd schematic (dschwartz 2019-01-08) in the meantime, where RA+ and RA- are swapped on RJ1 and RA- is now connected to PIN 23/MOSI... (as in pinmap) RA- I had previously connected to PIN 12... (dschwartz 2018-08-27). Now I am waiting for a new ESP32 board... the program is loading but I still have "connection failed" (doesn't matter, there are worse things)
Happy Easter Matthias


Matthias
 

Hello, Dave,
Thank you very much for the explanation. I have run your diagnostic program, everything is ok... but the ESP32 seems to be very sensitive...  Using PIN 23 is the current version? Unfortunately the explanation doesn't help me. The part only starts, (even irregularly) when I hold the voltage-meter on it (measurement between GRD and PIN 23) seems to get an impulse and then starts. Unfortunately this does not help in the field. Alternative? Teensy 3.2 or ESP 32S?
best regards
Matthias


Matthias
 
Edited

by the way, so it looks now...


the 4 resistor "network" is "offline" ;-)


Dave Schwartz
 

Yes, the current (V1.03) design has RA- connected to P23. In the schematic marked 'Rev: 1.03' at https://easyeda.com/dschwartz/onstep-shc you can see it on the upper right side of the ESP32S (labelled V_MOSI/G23 in the library template I used).

It used to be connected to the pin that was labelled G12/MISO right under the other three but that resulted in the undesired boot behavior. That's the schematic you posted in message https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/message/19225 but I have no idea how you got that one.

You have used a different type of ESP32 development board (ESP32D I think you said earlier) so the breakout of the pins around the module is not the same.

I have no idea why your module is behaving in the way you describe. It took me quite a while to figure out the problem I had so I hope you can figure out the problem you are having.

On 2020-04-10 11:44 a.m., Matthias wrote:
Hello, Dave,
Thank you very much for the explanation. I have run your diagnostic program, everything is ok... but the ESP32 seems to be very sensitive...  Using PIN 23 is the current version? Unfortunately the explanation doesn't help me. The part only starts, (even irregularly) when I hold the voltage-meter on it (measurement between GRD and PIN 23) seems to get an impulse and then starts. Unfortunately this does not help in the field. Alternative? Teensy 3.2 or ESP 32S?
best regards
Matthias


Matthias
 

Good morning Dave et al., is it possible that it is due to the synchronisation frequency of 12.5Hz? my ESP is a dual core, the esp32S is a singlecore... Can I change the frequency or is that a must? And now I also know why some pins are touch sensitive...) (studying some factsheets) You just learn a lot from debugging. Greetings Matthias
p.s. maybe via UART? (is there a solution for this?)


Matthias
 

Hi, again,
i used 4.7k for the Resitor network... may be to much, better 2.2k?
at my TEENSY 3.5 on Onstep PCB from C. Kampf is no Resitor network, just connected to the teensy...
Mathtias


Matthias
 

oops, that's what expressif recommending...: "SD pull-up requirements apply to cases where ESP32 uses the SPI controller to communicate with SD cards. When an SD card is operating in SPI mode or 1-bit SD mode, the CMD and DATA (DAT0 - DAT3) lines of the SD bus must be pulled up by 10 kOhm resistors. Slaves should also have pull-ups on all above-mentioned lines (regardless of whether these lines are connected to the host) in order to prevent SD cards from entering a wrong state."
may be thats the reason...
Matthias