Bricked wemos?

Joe

I’m putting together another OnStep for experimentation. When uploading the WiFi add-on (from 3.16) to the wemos everything goes fine. I have “erase all flash contents” checked. Naturally I’m flashing with the wemos removed from the board and I’ve tried a couple different cables.
The whole process completes, it is erasing the chip. It writes to 100% and leaves by resetting vis RTS pin.
When looking for the WiFi the network it broadcasts is “ESP-68401F”. I’ve got a regular pattern of 15 flashes on the wemos then a pause.
Anyone have any ideas?

Khalid Baheyeldin

The Wemos flashing means it is not bricked, it is perfectly functional.
But it also indicates that the Wemos is unable to connect to OnStep over the TX and RX pins.
There could be many reasons for this: bad soldering, OnStep not flashed on the microcontroller, and so on.

Dave Schwartz

And if you're using an STM32 controller, you may have an out-of-date Arduino STM32 support library (this was discussed and resolved at the beginning of the year).

On April 9, 2020 2:51:30 PM EDT, Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:
The Wemos flashing means it is not bricked, it is perfectly functional.
But it also indicates that the Wemos is unable to connect to OnStep over the TX and RX pins.
There could be many reasons for this: bad soldering, OnStep not flashed on the microcontroller, and so on.

If you use an STM32, then you must have recent versions of several components.

Details here https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/topic/upgrade_notice_stm32_pcb/70953896

Joe

I updated all of the STM32 files when I updated to 3.16, but I’ll check again. It’s a new board so I’ll also go over all the soldering again. I’m using the same files as the last time I flashed successfully.
I seem to remember that the Wemos broadcasted “OnStep” even when it wasn’t installed, perhaps I’m mistaken. In that instance since it’s removed from the board soldering couldn’t be the issue.

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 3:03 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:

If you use an STM32, then you must have recent versions of several components.

Details here https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/topic/upgrade_notice_stm32_pcb/70953896

Khalid Baheyeldin

Oh, you mean it is flashing when out of the PCB still?
That is normal then, since the TX/RX are not connected to anything.
Put it back in the PCB, and it should work.
Be careful not to offset the pins (I did that, and lost a Wemos).

Joe

Yes it works when installed. I’m an idiot... lol. Thanks!