1986 vixen super Polaris. #takahashi #celestron

rjhwebconsulting@...

Hello all.

Pulled out my c8 with super Polaris mount and now need a motor system. Familiar with the esp32 and arduino. Wondering where is the starting point to getting things set up. have access to 3D printer

Torc Torr ance

You are in a similar boat to me, I've got a GP-DX and a GPD2, both their SSK2 controllers work fine... but the servo motors are dead.

So, I've ordered up a heap of the MiniPCB2.0 boards and some of the STM32v1.8 pcbs. Currently soldering...

Gord Tulloch

This is the same as my setup, go to https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1833860 for motor brackets and the wiki for info on circuit boards and you're off!

--
Gord Tulloch, Winnipeg, MB Ph. 204-266-1845
--

Ivan Cohen

Same setup here and similar knowledge base. Started few months ago, now it starts working. Longer time was getting the components but maybe it's faster now. PCB from EasyEDA/jclpcb. There is a part list to get from mouser, motors from omc-stepperonline, drivers from watterotte. MaxPCB2 for provision for focuser. motor holders with 3D printer. working on improving holders now although goto already works well. connection to motor with RJ45. I could reach a slew rate of 4, not tried more yet.
I use 24V supply, motors 17HM19-1684S, drivers 201899-002 (TMC5160 V1.4) with protector (might be not required but to be extra safe) ref 201874.
I use Howard's software to control, it's really cool to navigate the sky

Lloyd Simons

Just check out the showcase. Several builds in there.

https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/4414

I just did a SP with the Wemos/CNC V3 build that was very easy to implement.

Rafael Barberá Córdoba

I’ve just transformed an Skywatcher EQ5 (almost the same mount) with an ESP32/CNC3, a pair of LV8729 and two 400 step 12v 1.68A motors. I’ve put a 15:60 pulleys for a 4:1 reduction.

the advantages of the ESP32/CNC3 is not soldering requiered, so the electronics “builds” on minutes and almost without experience.

George Cushing

I've converted several EQ-5 types the SP, depending on the type, is a little more challenging than most. I yours is a C8-SP and you don't have this part. . .

Then the usual EQ-5 approach is a bit more difficult. If I had to do another early SP I'd machine a duplicate of the part. out of 5/16" (8mm) alloy. I eventually got something that worked but I really was't happy with it.

douxj2003@...

I also used the same equatorial mount. Below are the STL models of the RA and DEC motor mounts.

Corey Mooney

Here are a set of brackets I designed  for my Super polaris

The square lug fits into the SP's  motor mounts, and are tightened with set screws from the sides.
They enclose a medium length 0.9A 0.9deg Stepper,
3.75 belt ratio.
Rugged connector

With proper tuning and TMC current setting the motors do not get too Hot in there.

-Corey